Public History MA vs. PhD

Savannah-in-the-world

Hey there fellow PH (and traditional history) folks. I hope you can help me.

I had always intended on getting a MA in PH, but after meeting with one of my LoR professors, she suggest that I get a PhD. I feel confused on whether it would be worth it. Since I have been working toward applying to MA programs and so intent on obtaining a MA, I feel bewildered to consider a PhD. However, the more people I talk to, the more I am being influenced to go straight into a PhD program. I hope to be able to curate exhibit and work for NPS, by the way.

Can anyone help me consider a MA vs PhD constructively? Thanks. 

My advice would be to look up as many job postings for your ideal positions as possible and see what they require. Personally, I do not think a PhD is necessary for the vast majority of careers in Public History and I'd be wary of spending several additional years in academia when you could be acquiring work experience.

Edit: Also, make sure to discuss this with people working in the field and not just Professors.

Edited by spezza

I would agree that a PhD probably isn't required for what you want to do--you would spend the next 5-10 years doing coursework, research and writing a dissertation, when what you really want to do is curate. Not that the PhD work wouldn't be useful, but with an MA you could be working in your field in two years or less. If you're already geared up to apply to MA programs, don't let all that work go to waste. However, it might be a good idea to throw one or two PhD applications out there to the top programs in your field--just in case.

Sounds like Museum Studies may be better for you though I've heard that it's the experience in the field that really matters (not to say that such graduate degrees aren't useful but a Museum Studies program would set you up better for connections).

If writing a 200-300 pages of research for the dissertation isn't up your alley, then don't do the PhD.  But the PhD may be desirable for higher positions in the public history world.  Do some research on job positings and conduct some informational interviews with folks in the field you want to go into.