Profile Evaluation

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad Institution: Midwest state school (one more semester)
Major(s): Political Science, Economics, Mathematics 
Undergrad GPA: 3.821
Type of Grad: N/A
Grad GPA: N/A 
GRE: Don't remember, but not spectacular
Any Special Courses: Took 2 PhD PoliSci (A, A-), PhD Math Econ (A), Masters Microeconomics (A); will be taking 2 PhD economics classes (Econometrics and Macro) and 1 graduate math class (Knot Theory and Gen Topology) next fall
Letters of Recommendation: I imagine I have one really good one from a PoliSci prof with whom I took a PhD course with, but after that it is less clear: perhaps a good one with a prof with whom I've been meeting with and doing a small project under and then maybe another prof with whom I took an undergrad class with (we talked on many occasions about different research topics and he seemed impressed by the paper I wrote for his class). Then I have some maybes in economics and maybe one or two in math. All around not a great situation
Research Experience: Very little to none worth stating. Was an RA for a semester on two different occasions for two different professors but left due to course load. Then some long term papers that had original research (but pretty weak in methods in my opinion)

Teaching Experience: Economics tutoring
Subfield/Research Interests: Political Economy, Comparative, Authoritarian institutions, Regime transition and consolidation, Political parties, Formal methods
Other: Worked at state legislature for a semester. 

So, my intention for a long time was to get my PhD in either polisci or econ and so I have spent my undergrad preparing for either depending on which I would end up choosing. This usually meant I was taking the coursework needed and taking it to the extreme. So, this left me with some great coursework, but little research experience or great recommendations. And then the previous year I really started feeling the effects of burnout and really lost a lot of motivation to the point that I'm not sure what I really want.

So:

1) Given my profile now, do you think I can get into a top 10? Or where do you think I could be competitive?

2) Would going and getting an MA be worthwhile? What are the chances I would get generous funding? I'm considering this option now in order to get the research experience and maybe pop out an article and get some recommendations, as well as to reinvigorate my interest.

As a note, I don't think I would like private sector work, so I still believe academia is the way for me to go.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad Institution: Midwest state school (one more semester)

Major(s): Political Science, Economics, Mathematics 

Undergrad GPA: 3.821

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A 

GRE: Don't remember, but not spectacular

Any Special Courses: Took 2 PhD PoliSci (A, A-), PhD Math Econ (A), Masters Microeconomics (A); will be taking 2 PhD economics classes (Econometrics and Macro) and 1 graduate math class (Knot Theory and Gen Topology) next fall

Letters of Recommendation: I imagine I have one really good one from a PoliSci prof with whom I took a PhD course with, but after that it is less clear: perhaps a good one with a prof with whom I've been meeting with and doing a small project under and then maybe another prof with whom I took an undergrad class with (we talked on many occasions about different research topics and he seemed impressed by the paper I wrote for his class). Then I have some maybes in economics and maybe one or two in math. All around not a great situation

Research Experience: Very little to none worth stating. Was an RA for a semester on two different occasions for two different professors but left due to course load. Then some long term papers that had original research (but pretty weak in methods in my opinion)

Teaching Experience: Economics tutoring

Subfield/Research Interests: Political Economy, Comparative, Authoritarian institutions, Regime transition and consolidation, Political parties, Formal methods

Other: Worked at state legislature for a semester. 

So, my intention for a long time was to get my PhD in either polisci or econ and so I have spent my undergrad preparing for either depending on which I would end up choosing. This usually meant I was taking the coursework needed and taking it to the extreme. So, this left me with some great coursework, but little research experience or great recommendations. And then the previous year I really started feeling the effects of burnout and really lost a lot of motivation to the point that I'm not sure what I really want.

So:

1) Given my profile now, do you think I can get into a top 10? Or where do you think I could be competitive?

2) Would going and getting an MA be worthwhile? What are the chances I would get generous funding? I'm considering this option now in order to get the research experience and maybe pop out an article and get some recommendations, as well as to reinvigorate my interest.

As a note, I don't think I would like private sector work, so I still believe academia is the way for me to go.

Don't get an MA if you really think you want to do a PhD! It's not a good use of resources and you'll set yourself back two years. If you're not sure a PhD is for you, go work for a year or two, starting with internships -- make some money and see how you like it. It's pretty nice. And it won't hurt your application.

No chance to do an undergraduate thesis? that would really help. If you do well on your GREs, combined score of 330 or so, you probably have a good app. For your LORs, there's no reason you can't get good ones. Go talk to your professors and get to know them. I had two very solid LORs from poli sci professors whom I knew well, but I was told by a few adcom members that my best one was from my foreign language instructor, who I became pretty close with and wrote a very personal letter.

I think your economics background and (presumably) your quantitative skills that come from that is what a lot of adcoms like to see, so you have a good shot at good programs if you do some of the things I've said here. 

The possibility for an undergrad thesis is likely impossible now, especially since I would need to get it done by December and couples with the classes I'm taking I really am not sure that I'd be able to do it well (I'm taking 3 math classes and those two economics classes mentioned earlier). But that was my main motivation for thinking about a masters: to write a thesis there.

I could ask around in my department, but do you think writing an smaller independent paper (with quantitative analysis, theory building, and extensive lit review) over the rest of the summer be worthwhile and usable as a writing sample and demonstration of research potential?

My other motivation for wanting a masters now would be to build up some more math, programming, and stats credibility. Would that be a better use of my time?

My other motivation for wanting a masters now would be to build up some more math, programming, and stats credibility. Would that be a better use of my time?

It would be a great investment of your time to augment your skills in those areas, however, you don't need a 100k master's degree for that (or however much your master's costs). If what you want to do is increase your knowledge of math, programming, and stats, take some MOOCS. I never took a quantitative MOOC but I did take one about China and Korea's historic relationship and it was a lot of fun. Check out Coursera, Udacity, edx, futurelearn, MIT Open Courseware, Open Yale Courses, etc. They are all free, and the ones from Coursera, udacity, edx and futurelearn come with statements of accomplishments that you can include on your CV. And, if you gain concrete skills from them, you can include things on your CV like " able to use Stata, R, latex," etc.  

If you want a more "legitimate" class, and you have the money, you could try a local state university or a community college. That way, you can just take the classes you need without worrying about fulfilling degree requirements. 

Good luck. 

I can relate well to your situation.  I worked my way to a Masters in a Political Science PhD program and left to work and go to school part time.  I studied Math, Physics and Computer Science and worked in IT for a while.  My numbers are still pretty good even though one of my undergrad Poli Sci profs thought I would screw up my GPA.  I was studying Point-Set topology, Partial Differential Equations, and Projective Geometry in Math and Condensed Matter Physics and Nanotech.  You should check out CalTech's Social Science program.  There are high admission standards, but it's interdisciplinary and high tech (neuroscience, computer sims, formal modeling), and they have the JPL nearby.

"you don't need a 100k master's degree for that"

I passed on University of Chicago's two year terminal Masters program in International Studies and went elsewhere where I got funding.  I don't recommend just going for a Masters right away.  You could start a Poli Sci PhD program and decide you want to do a dissertation in Economics or Math.  I flirted with the idea as well and decided to go back to Poli Sci as I have quite interdisciplinary interests

I passed on University of Chicago's two year terminal Masters program in International Studies and went elsewhere where I got funding.  I don't recommend just going for a Masters right away.  You could start a Poli Sci PhD program and decide you want to do a dissertation in Economics or Math.  I flirted with the idea as well and decided to go back to Poli Sci as I have quite interdisciplinary interests

Interestingly enough, I went to UChicago for undergrad! I see from your profile you're in Illinois - are you at UChicago for your Poli Sci PhD?

And then the previous year I really started feeling the effects of burnout and really lost a lot of motivation to the point that I'm not sure what I really want.

Holy fuck dude/dudette take some time off before going to graduate school.

• 4 weeks later...

So took some time off and got revamped and am ready to go into application season. Refound my spark and am more confident about my letters of recommendation and research interests!

Now I want to see how you think I will compare. Where do you think I could be accepted? I am shooting for top 20 and feel very strongly for a school between 10 and 20, but do you think I can be accepted for top 10 or even top 5? What if I improve my GRE score? Or if I can really edit and put some work into some of old term papers (which have done original theory and analysis)?

Let me know!

Can you, or anyone, take some guesses conditional of different GRE scores? As, where given my current score? If it was 160, 160, 4.5/5 (very doable, even expected improvements)? If it was 325-330 combined, plus 4.5/5/5.5 (more difficult and can't be assumed)?

I know it may seem distasteful to ask for hypotheticals, but it would be appreciated for what it's worth.

Can you, or anyone, take some guesses conditional of different GRE scores? As, where given my current score? If it was 160, 160, 4.5/5 (very doable, even expected improvements)? If it was 325-330 combined, plus 4.5/5/5.5 (more difficult and can't be assumed)?

I know it may seem distasteful to ask for hypotheticals, but it would be appreciated for what it's worth. things: First, as you can see even in this forum there is a lot of good competition. There is no way to tell how your application stands among others.

!. As you can see even in this forum there is a lot of good applicants. There is no way to tell how yours stand among others, even hypothetically

2. Fit is really important. We do not know how you present yourself and what departments are looking for at the moment.

3.Just improve your GRE scores as much as you can. Hypothetically everyone is perfect.

Real advice (for everyone asking these questions): Apply widely and ask your professors for what they consider good departments for you. Rank is not everything.

Good luck.

Edited by kaykaykay