Terminal Masters Programs

My name is Ozera and I am a rising senior at UT Dallas. I wish to attend a terminal Master's program which is focused on Pure math rather than an applied mathematics route. This is so that I can better prepare myself for the PhD programs I wish to apply to.

Can anyone please recommend schools which have a Terminal Masters program for pure math? I am having trouble finding some. I understand that I will most likely not be funded, but I feel that I am not ready for a PhD program nor do I think I can enter the PhD programs I want with my current GPA.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Fyi just to clarify terminology, "terminal" masters means they are designed to be a final degree, i.e. not as a stepping stone to a PhD. If you mean standalone masters, as in not a masters en route to a PhD, that's different.

Is "terminal" even a real term? You'd just need some research experience coming from a Master's, so do a thesis. That said, Math Master's programs seem to be pretty rare compared to other disciplines. I've never heard of any outside of applied areas.

I would suggest you look outside of the US, because Masters programs are viewed very differently in the US than abroad. For example, in Canada, most pure math masters programs will be funded, whereas most in the US will be completely unfunded.

I understand that. People use this term all the time (regarding Master's). In reality, grad programs require you to have a Bachelor's in general. That doesn't mean you can't apply if you have a Master's. Now if you do have a Master's, you may be held to a higher standard as far as research goes, which is the genesis of my comment about thesis vs. non-thesis.

I understand that. People use this term all the time (regarding Master's). In reality, grad programs require you to have a Bachelor's in general. That doesn't mean you can't apply if you have a Master's. Now if you do have a Master's, you may be held to a higher standard as far as research goes, which is the genesis of my comment about thesis vs. non-thesis.

In most countries, a Masters is required to enter a PhD program. The US is a different system than most, and this is why a Masters is viewed as a more serious degree abroad I think.