Advice needed: saying no to a university after saying yes a few months before

LauraD

Hi everyone!

I need your advice: in May 2014, I have been accepted for a MA at a university in the US (I'm an international student). I deferred it to Fall 2015 because I wanted to gain more work experience before going back to studying (this would be my 2nd master's degree). They accepted my deferral, and asked me to confirm in January 2015 that I would come for the Fall 2015. I did confirm that I was able to come and would join the ranks in the fall.

However since January, my financial situation and my motivation for the master's have changed, and I am considering not going at all. Being an international student I have no idea what the policy is about this: am I allowed to decline the offer now, 2 months before the beginning of term, and after I said I would come last January? Will I have to pay any fee for not going? Basically: what's going to happen to me if I tell them now that I'm not coming?

Thank you for your answers!!! :D

They shouldn't hold it against you. I'd just call (or email, probably easier than international calling) them and say that your financial situation has changed and you are no longer able to attend. If you paid a deposit of any sort that will be lost, however I see no reason why they would charge you anything.