Masters in Computer Science with non-CS background

alex1719

Hi Everyone,

I graduated from an Ivy League school last year with a social science major and an economics/language minor. During the fall semester of my senior year I took an intro to CS class on a whim and ended up enjoying it far more than what I majored in - I decided to keep at it and for my last semester of school, I also signed up for discrete math and a more advanced programming class.

Since graduating, I got a full-time job in my major and gradually completed several other CS classes - through Harvard Extension and at a local school - in the evening. So far I've completed: Intro to OO Programming I, OO Programming II, Discrete Math, Data Structures, Computer Organization & Assembly Language and Database Systems. This fall I'm planning on completing Operating Systems, Analysis of Algorithms and maybe Software Engineering. I'm also going to take the GRE this fall and would like to apply to masters programs by the end of the year. So far, the CS grades I've received have been 2 As, 2 A-s and 2 B++s.

Because of my non-CS background, I'm not sure I'm doing all the right things to get into a good CS masters, nor am I sure what masters programs I'd even be able to reasonably get into. When I was doing my social science undergrad degree, I maintained a 3.7+ gpa, completed several internships and did some interesting research, but now it all seems irrelevant. When it comes to CS, I'll have about 9 classes on my transcript, most of them post-bac,

I'm not sure how I'd be able to stack up against applicants that majored in Computer Science and were involved in research/co-ops during undergrad. Is there anything I can do to make myself a stronger candidate? Also, what kind of programs might be worth looking into for someone like me?

Thanks!!!

I think your chances are almost as good as someone coming from a non-CS science major.

As an aside, how are the Harvard classes? And are they easy to get into, or do they fill up (online)? I'm in an OS class this summer, but it's a big mess, and I'm thinking about dropping and taking the Harvard class in the fall. I didn't realize they had online classes until just now.

Do your have a favorite area? Algorithms, systems, etc. If so, try to take a grad class somewhere to explore your interests and get a LOR.

Thanks for the response! Do you think top-50 CS masters programs might be realistic for someone like me?

I'm really enjoying the Harvard Extension classes - so far the ones I've taken (data structure and database systems) have been pretty comprehensive and challenging. It depends on the class, but some are unlimited-enrollment (the ones that are fully online I think) and others are capped at 40 people. I'm pretty sure that OS is capped enrollment, but getting in shouldn't be a problem if you don't wait too long to register. 

I am actually really interested in machine learning and am taking a Coursera class on it out of interest. I've also really liked my algorithms coursework so I'll try and see if there are any more advanced classes I can do in the fall.  

Yeah, all depends on your LORs I guess. For me, I was a math major, so I can still use 1 or 2 strong LORs from college. I'm planning on taking a couple grad classes as a non-degree student in the fall, which could net me 1 or 2 more, and possibly get me in at that school, (and if I went there, could get me through the Master's program a little faster). I'd guess top 20 is out of reach for you, but top 50 sounds reasonable.

OS has been such a thorn in my side. Couldn't get in at my local university last fall or spring, got into a class this summer, but it's a big mess, and I probably won't be able to get into an in-person class in the fall. Maybe in the winter/spring, but there's no guarantee. Anyway, unless I decide to stick this course out, I'll probably try to take OS online through Harvard. Though it seems odd the pre-req is only data structures, and not also computer systems/organization.

Are the lecture videos posted online to watch whenever, or is it some live stream you need to tune in to?

FYI, Stanford does online classes, including Machine Learning. Not sure if it's in the fall or a different term. Their online classes are grad classes though.

Have you thought of an interdisciplinary field like computational social science? Just suggesting.

About your profile though, it seems you've got a good chance at faring well at admissions for a master's at least. :) 

You have a better chance than I did and I got into a pretty strong program. Just keep doing what you're doing, do well on the GRE, and talk to some professors so you can ask them for a LOR later on.

@svent Yeah, I agree. I had to juggle and shop around a lot to get into the CS classes I've taken this year. Not as easy as I thought it would be. For Harvard OS, the lecture videos are all posted online, so you can watch them whenever you have the time. All the slides are posted as well. 

And yeah, I'm actually taking the Stanford Machine Learning class right now. It's awesome!

@shinigamiasuka Thanks for your response! I actually did consider several interdisciplinary options. Cornell has an information science masters that seems promising but I'll need to do some more research on it. Other than that though, there don't seem to be too many options out there :\

@s_rez87 Thanks! I was pretty worried about LORs since I didn't get a chance to connect with CS professors during undergrad. Will try to remedy that this fall! 

Albeit not CS, I got into a top-30 school with little academic background. I did what you did, I took classes for two years which also got me my LOR writers and time to prepare my application. IMHO, at least in the humanities, the LORs, writing sample, and SOP are the most important items. A decent GPA and GRE are sort of expected for entry into a top school. So, if I can get an admit, I guarantee you that you can do it. Your class list is excellent, very much in line with a modern CS education.

you have done more than enough already with OOP1 & 2, data structures, computer organization and all those other 'core' cs courses you listed. Of course taking as many of the core courses as possible is great but if you have to struggle to queeze all those courses in, it's not necessary.

i would HIGHLY suggest Georgia Tech OMSCS program. It is a master of computer science program that is done online but it is NOT an 'online' degree. meaning it is exactly the same degree as the on campus version. You literally have access to all the resources as on campus students. It is mainly meant for people working full time and is highly flexible. This is a new program and the cost is unbeatable. and  obviously you have the prestige of gatech to go along with it.  Type in OMSCS in google to find out more about the program.  They accept studens from very diverse backgrounds. I think you can definitely get in. also it doesnt require the GRE.

the on campus programs are more selective but i still think your credentials are enough to make it in. If anything coming from an unconventional background could work in your favor and make you stand out among all the CS undegrad folks. along with a strong statement of purpose and 160+ gre quant. Apply to some state schools and some really selective top 10 schools as well. good luck. i don't think there's anything to worry about really. unless you write a terrible SOP or flunk the GRE

• 5 months later...

I agree with the advice you've already gotten. I am trying to do something similar. I actually am in a biomed program now, but have been taking lots of CS electives out of personal interest (couldn't stop after just learning some programming to help with my research, which was the original plan). Now I am trying to switch over to CS. I am lucky in that I am getting advice/support from the CS professors I've had here. I will also be applying to the OMSCS program.

• 7 years later...

It's great to see your passion for computer science and the effort you've put into expanding your knowledge in the field. Your diverse background can actually be an asset, as it brings a unique perspective to the table. To strengthen your candidacy for CS master's programs, consider showcasing your practical experience through internships or personal projects. Additionally, seek out recommendation letters from professors in your CS classes to highlight your academic potential. As for programs, look for universities with a flexible curriculum and supportive environment for students transitioning from non-CS backgrounds. Have you considered reaching out to professors or professionals in the CS field for guidance and mentorship?