Do YOU think I'll get in?

DespSeekPhd

I'm stressing a bit. I originally got a funded MA spot a a particular uni, but because of my husband's change in job location, I had to give up the spot. So this is round 2. I'm applying for MA to:

UPittsburgh

UMass-Amherst

Boston University

Boston College

Trinity College (CT)

Tufts

UConn

We will most likely be relocating in either Springfield or Pittsburgh, hence the geographical locations. I have absolutely no control over which place we go, so that bugs me a bit - if I get a spot in one region, but not in the other, and I have to move to the other, well...

My area of study is medieval European history. Here's my stuff:

*Undergrad BA in social science-history at small LAC

*GPA 3.83

*Taught secondary school social studies for 5 years

*GRE: 680V, 620Q, 5.5AW

*Good writing sample and personal statement

*3 letters: one from undergrad advisor, who supervised my thesis and allowed me to teach a couple of his classes as an undergrad; two from coworkers (no choice there - I've been out of school 6 years and went to a small school - other 2 profs I worked closely with are unavailable for letters) that did speak to my academic abilities in researching for lessons, etc. (I tended to treat my class prep like prepping for a term paper - what can I say, I like to research)

*Finished first semester of Latin as self-study, will be continuing it and taking classes in French (2 semesters) before beginning MA in fall

Not stellar, but I'm applying for MA, so, hopefully I'll get in somewhere. My first choice would absolutely be UMass - because of the 5 college, there are a lot of profs that match my research interests.

Anyone have any comments? Do you think I have a shot at UMass or any of the others? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I would think seriously about doing a couple of things to improve your chances:

-Retake the GRE. Your verbal score is barely at the minimum for a decent humanities program. Nobody cares about the quantitative, unless you really screwed it up, which you did not. You're probably on the higher end of the spectrum for history applicants.

-Track down some other professors, advisors, even janitors if you must. It's unbelievable how many times I've heard of people who, when they get any personal comments at all with their rejection letters, have found their boss did not have the same clout as someone who actually works at a university.

-Make a note of any external funding you've received, or for which you are applying. The space limitations in grad programs in the public research universities is based primarily on economic considerations. If you can somehow fund yourself, you should let them know (and repeat it somewhere else) - your chances will be much better.

Regardless, you've selected a good mix of schools. I would bet you could expect a 1/3 acceptance rate, provided your statement and supporting materials are top notch. Then again, what I tell everyone is that the whole process is a crap shoot - I got acceptance letters to some top schools I didn't think I had a prayer of attending, yet I got rejected from most of my backup schools! It's all about "fit," finding a mentor within the program to grease the wheels, and catching the comittee on a Friday instead of a Monday.

i disagree...a 680 verbal is very high...that's like the 95 or 96th percentile. it might be at the bare minimum for top english programs, but i'd imagine that is an excellent score for history programs, esp. masters degrees.

Wow! Look at the big brain on me! =)

Seriously though, disregard my advice about retaking the GRE, then. I thought it was easier than it really is to get a high verbal.

Either way, it seems to me that the process is about presenting a complete package that has some outstanding positive aspects, without too many negative bits standing out. If you see something you think is negative, then do what you can to fix it. Once you've fixed all you can, it's time to go have a margarita and try very hard to not obsess for the next few months. lol

I'm not worried about my GRE - 680V is actually slightly above what Berkeley lists as the average for their grad history students (PhD). And I'm only applying for MA.

I very truly cannot pull together any prof letters besides the one. I went to community college for 2 years (a long time ago), and as you know, the turnover at a CC is very high. Most of the profs I had are gone, and the couple that are still there could not say more than, "She got an A" even if they did remember me. I had a small undergrad uni, and of the 3 profs in my major I had classes with, 1 has written a letter, one has left the country and cannot be located, and one has died. Of my other profs, one has left academia and cannot be located and the other has died. That's it. So I really had no choice in the letters I got.

By the time I apply for PhD, I will have letters from my MA program, so that should be vastly improved. Thanks all for the comments!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...