GRE studying

D.Locks

I studied quite extensively for the GRE, but I was originally anticipating applying to economics graduate programs and I was shooting for an 800 on the math section. For me, this required a lot of studying. I don't think anyone can tell you how much *you* need to study for the GRE - people vary in their ability at standardized tests and what their target score is. (There are other places on this forum where people have posted the scores required of some of the top programs, if you're curious.)

I do think you can change your test date for $50, so if you think this sitting is going to be a waste for you, it could be worth it. Check the ETS website for specific details.

If you go ahead with this and only have the last minute to study, I would recommend looking at some practice GREs (if you do not feel like buying a practice book, you can just go to a bookstore and sit down with one for a couple of hours) and make sure you have the directions down cold so that you do not have to spend any time reading them when you are taking the test. For example, it helped me to memorize the answer choices on the quantitative comparisons in the math section - (a) Column A is bigger (B) Column B is bigger © They're the same and (d) Not enough information. Knowing how each type of analytic writing essay is set up is another example of a time-saver.

Hope these last-minute tips helped, and good luck!

Thank you for the tips. Especially the last one. It seems that on the antonym part, I was marking the synonym (or closest thing to it) last time. I think that should help some. I'm more concerned about the verbal since I pulled off a 700 on the quant last time. I don't think it will be a waste, but it wont be as desirable of a result than it would had i studied. Either way, I don't have the $50 to waste. Maybe I will try to download some material via torrents and look them over for the next few days. Memorizing the directions (and answer choices) should help considerably though. I appreciate it. Wish me luck!

I would download a practice test from Kaplan and see where you score.

If you're in the 1100's, take the test. If not, there's no sense in taking. Here's why: It's September, and if I remember correctly, you can only take the GRE (computer based) every 45 days. So, if you dont do well now, you're into November and have to drastically improve.

Now, the alternative (waiting to take it) isnt attractive either, but this appears to be a better choice than the first...especially given that you didnt do well the first time and schools can still see that score.

spaulding

Here's why: It's September, and if I remember correctly, you can only take the GRE (computer based) every 45 days.spaulding

I would respectfully like to point out that you can take it once per calendar month, up to 5 times in one year. I cannot locate this information on the ETS website in the few minutes that I have, but I know I took the GRE twice with less than a month between the two testings. Just FYI, so taking this once is not a do-or-die situation!

I would respectfully like to point out that you can take it once per calendar month, up to 5 times in one year. I cannot locate this information on the ETS website in the few minutes that I have, but I know I took the GRE twice with less than a month between the two testings. Just FYI, so taking this once is not a do-or-die situation!

Correct. Once per calendar month - meaning you could take it on September 30th, and the next day, October 1st.

I knew the once per calendar month thing. I just didn't know you could do it like that. I'm taking it tomorrow, we'll see how it goes. I took a practice on the powerprep software, got an 1100 but i wasn't trying too hard and was definitely not in a good environment. I feel good about it, especially now that it seems I can take it next week if I need to. Appreciate the info guys, who's applying this round?