Permanent residence in Canada.

Hi everyone,
I have been here in Canada for last two years. I have completed Master of Entrepreneurship and innovation from Queen's school of business in Toronto. I am thinking about starting a business in Toronto. I don't have permanent residence. I don't have much knowledge about the immigration and citizenship programs in Canada. Which type of residence should I have to start a business in Canada? Currently, I have only a study permit which will expire on next month. Which is the best way to get a permanent residence for starting a business in Canada? Or should I consult with any immigration law firms like http://www.matthewjeffery.com?

• 1 month later...

Hi Erica, 

I have just become a permanent residence myself. Becoming a permanent residence can be a long and tedious task although I think they've recently changed the requirements. Check here for updated info http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/ 

As for your study permit expiring I would recommend that you apply for your post graduate work permit as soon as you can. Depending on the program that you've completed a post graduate work permit allows you to work for a maximum of three years in Canada. This is an open work permit so you are not tied to any one employer. 

The route that I took to become a permanent residence is called the "Canadian Experience Class" and to my knowledge students who have completed their undergrad or masters programs here in Canada can apply to work with a  "post graduate work permit" for a maximum of 3 years. This gives you the 2 years of continuous working experience that is required to apply for your PR. 

I can't comment to starting your own business as I haven't done that before, but I can say that schools usually have international student offices where they help with visa applications and can answer questions you may have. 

Good luck! 

Hi everyone,

I have been here in Canada for last two years. I have completed Master of Entrepreneurship and innovation from Queen's school of business in Toronto. I am thinking about starting a business in Toronto. I don't have permanent residence. I don't have much knowledge about the immigration and citizenship programs in Canada. Which type of residence should I have to start a business in Canada? Currently, I have only a study permit which will expire on next month. Which is the best way to get a permanent residence for starting a business in Canada? Or should I consult with any immigration law firms like http://www.matthewjeffery.com?

my husband and i immigrated to Canada under a now-defunct program (investor) but we looked into the entrepreneurial route (what i think is called now the "start up" visa). my only recommendation is to ask for help. LOTS of it. and not just from anyone. preferably an immigration lawyer who's also got a good business and accounting sense.

in my experience with CIC, unless your case is "relatively" straightforward, you definitely need a lawyer or some sort of counselor to make sure your application won't get in trouble. you really wanna get this right from the get go. 

Hi everyone,

Hi Erica,

We are not legally allowed to give you advice with regards to immigration, we would actually be placing you with liability if you were to accept our advice unless one of us is a certified immigration consultant or Canadian immigration lawyer. I suggest you consult with a legal counsel that specializes in immigration for your situation. CIC has all of its rulings on the website. It changes often without notice, so be sure to check it frequently. 

I used to work in an international college and we get all kinds of questions relating to immigration. If your school has a legal department such as a pro bono firm, you can ask around if someone is willing to give you a consultation at no cost. Usually you would speak with a student-at-law under supervision by a licensed solicitor and barrister. 

Hope this helps.