EE Junior with bad class-rank in an Inflated GPA school. Suggestions?

Mochachino_60

So, I'm a nearly at the end of my junior year (EE major) in a South Asian engineering university. The thing is I messed up my first and third semester quite badly, due to reasons which I now find quite silly. I didn't like my University at all, in fact I got in a better University (in every sense of the word 'better')  and took most of my 1st semester classes there. But due to family pressure and other problems (things work differently in this part of the world) I had to continue where I am now and blew out my GPA, (around 3.5). Our University's GPA, I believe is quite inflated because there are more than 15 students above a 3.9 in a class of about 100 students.

In the third semester I thought about starting again in a new University abroad (I hated here so much) applied, got in, couldn't managed fund, ended up staying and blowing away my 3rd semester as well (3.4). From 4th I did okay and got like 3.9 and 3.95 in 5th (now I'm in sixth) and hope to keep the result good.  ^_^

The thing is if I continue going this way I'd end up with like 3.75 - 3.8 , while in terms of most University this would be a good result, but here I'd most probably end up with a class rank of 25-35 or something among 100 students, and that is depressing to me. I'm not really a bad student but I think I made some bad choices, that I can't undo. (those first few semesters were quite easy compared to now :unsure: ).

In terms of research we haven't started yet but I've contacted with some good professors and it seems like(right now) I'd get a chance to work with them, but I can't say how good it will be. I've to see that later I guess. And about GRE, I'm quite confident I can manage a competitive score.

Anyway I'd like to know whether my class rank and GPA would be a serious obstacle in my way to get into a good/top program, considering that I am an international student?

I'm more interested into theoretical research (I'm a Physics enthusiast). I'd really like to get into one of

UCLA / UCSD / Rice / UM Ann Arbor for their Plasma Physics or Rochester for Optics. I have to shorten the list though. I know these are all a stretch for me (I'll of course apply to some safety schools too).

So , I just wanted you guys to say how logical/realistic it is to apply to these schools? Moreover what should  I do to bolster my chances? Any sort of advice  about anything would be extremely appreciated. Thank you guys.

Your GPA looks pretty good regardless. Unless your class rank is mentioned anywhere officially, you're not required to include it in your application.

Is it MS that you're aiming for, or a PhD? You may be a physics enthusiast, but you'll need to prove that with research experience. ECE departments also have plasma physics and optics research areas, so you won't really miss out on much (other than theoretical physics of course). If you want to transition to physics however, you'd need a number of undergrad physics courses + take the physics GRE subject test. I don't know if either of them (i.e. MS or PhD in physics) would be easy to get it, but MS in ECE/EE won't be much of a problem. I mean 3.75 - 3.8 is VERY good in most accounts. Just work harder from now on, get a good GRE score, write a strong SOP, and develop good relations with some of your professors for LORs.

The only thing that's stopping you from a PhD is research experience. Since you're aiming for top universities, you'd need a pretty strong research background because the competition is high.

Also, you could PM me for more questions on how I applied (I'm Bangladeshi btw; AUST Spring 2014 graduate :) ). I got a 3.67 and got into UMich-AA (came out 9th in my class of around 120).

Hi there,

Your class ranking is good. I would say that most of the grad students in North America end up somewhere between the top 30% to the top 50% of their undergraduate classes. Of course, at the prestigious schools, you'll mostly find people in the top 10% or better, but it's not like grad school is limited to the top 10% only! I don't think your class rank will hurt you and in fact, for all of my applications, we are not directly asked our class ranking (our LOR writers might be asked to compare us to other students they have supervised in the past).

Are you applying to Physics programs then? If so, I agree with shinigamiasuka that you really need some Physics experience, not just being an enthusiast. I know this might be hard because I've talked to other Bangladeshi students in the past and there seems to be a lack of a Physics program there? Or at least, it seems that a lot of people go into Engineering programs in Bangladesh and then try to get into Physics grad schools. If this is a common thing to do in Bangladesh, then maybe schools will take this in consideration when wondering why you don't have a Physics degree. (i.e. that Physics opportunities are limited for Bangladeshi students interested in Physics).

Finally, I notice that in your list of schools, you list a lot of public schools, especially University of California schools. These schools are very hard for international students to get into, and without a physics background, you might be too much of a risk for these schools. You should still apply to them if you feel that they are a good fit, but I would recommend applying to a large number of schools total and to make sure you include private schools on your list (where your international status won't be as much of a hinderance). Overall, I would consider you a "higher risk" applicant because: 1) not a physics major, 2) little research experience, and 3) international student. This means you should apply to a larger number of schools and/or select your programs very carefully.

Hi there,

Your class ranking is good. I would say that most of the grad students in North America end up somewhere between the top 30% to the top 50% of their undergraduate classes. Of course, at the prestigious schools, you'll mostly find people in the top 10% or better, but it's not like grad school is limited to the top 10% only! I don't think your class rank will hurt you and in fact, for all of my applications, we are not directly asked our class ranking (our LOR writers might be asked to compare us to other students they have supervised in the past).

I'm worried about my class rank because our University publishes the class rank in the graduation certificate and I'm anxious that it might undermine my GPA. If somehow could show my last 5 semester GPA/Rank (if I can maintain good GPA - which I hope) then it'd be more impressive.

I have pretty good relation with two of my mentors (Asst. Profs) and I do believe they feel my rank/GPA doesn't reflect my academic capabilities, but it is still early days for me as I haven't started working with them yet.

Are you applying to Physics programs then? If so, I agree with shinigamiasuka that you really need some Physics experience, not just being an enthusiast. I know this might be hard because I've talked to other Bangladeshi students in the past and there seems to be a lack of a Physics program there? Or at least, it seems that a lot of people go into Engineering programs in Bangladesh and then try to get into Physics grad schools. If this is a common thing to do in Bangladesh, then maybe schools will take this in consideration when wondering why you don't have a Physics degree. (i.e. that Physics opportunities are limited for Bangladeshi students interested in Physics).

No, the programs that I've mentioned are not Physics programs. The plasma physics research on these programs are going on in the ECE department. So I've shortlisted them. I've thought about going "full-physics" and applying to the Physics departments but it seems too much hassle and risky. But that is still something in the back of my mind. I am trying to work under a professor in Superconductivity in (quite a great) Lab in a different University. If I do end up getting that opportunity, then I'd most probably take a gap year and then may be consider applying to Physics (or not) :unsure: (I'm so confused :wacko: ). But these are my plans now.

Finally, I notice that in your list of schools, you list a lot of public schools, especially University of California schools. These schools are very hard for international students to get into, and without a physics background, you might be too much of a risk for these schools. You should still apply to them if you feel that they are a good fit, but I would recommend applying to a large number of schools total and to make sure you include private schools on your list (where your international status won't be as much of a hinderance). Overall, I would consider you a "higher risk" applicant because: 1) not a physics major, 2) little research experience, and 3) international student. This means you should apply to a larger number of schools and/or select your programs very carefully.

Thanks for this new insight, I was absolutely unaware of this. I'd definitely take up your advice and look for some Private school programs too.

Moreover as I'm applying to the ECE department do you think still it'd be too much of a stretch to get into CAL schools?

Moreover I will definitely get at least one year of research experience in one of Photonics/Signal Processing/ Semiconductor physics in the final year, and hope to publish.

So considering these information how do you think I should proceed.

And thanks again for taking your time to answer my queries. Have a good time.

I'm worried about my class rank because our University publishes the class rank in the graduation certificate and I'm anxious that it might undermine my GPA. If somehow could show my last 5 semester GPA/Rank (if I can maintain good GPA - which I hope) then it'd be more impressive.

A lot of US schools also inflate GPAs, so I hardly suppose you're in much trouble here. In most cases, your GPA matters more than your class rank anyway.

No, the programs that I've mentioned are not Physics programs. The plasma physics research on these programs are going on in the ECE department. So I've shortlisted them. I've thought about going "full-physics" and applying to the Physics departments but it seems too much hassle and risky. But that is still something in the back of my mind. I am trying to work under a professor in Superconductivity in (quite a great) Lab in a different University. If I do end up getting that opportunity, then I'd most probably take a gap year and then may be consider applying to Physics (or not) :unsure: (I'm so confused :wacko: ). But these are my plans now.

Moreover I will definitely get at least one year of research experience in one of Photonics/Signal Processing/ Semiconductor physics in the final year, and hope to publish.

So considering these information how do you think I should proceed.

One way to do it is to get an MS with, say, plasma related research, and then while you're at it, take some of the required physics courses. That said, most MS programs are unfunded and will be expensive, so you're going to have to look for an RA, TA, or a GSA. After that, apply for a physics PhD program. In the meantime, that your interests will either change, or you'll get more motivated towards pursuing a physics PhD program. A friend of mine from undergrad is going this route with biomedical engineering, except that she's applying to Canadian programs.

Please tell me more about this superconductivity lab! I've never once heard of it??

Good luck with publishing! That's going to give your profile a real boost! I never got around to publish my research though, and I'm thinking of consulting a professor at my new university to get his feedback on the topic.

I believe you should consult some of the professors at your university and get their feedback as well. What you can do now is start prepping for the GRE to take it when you're ready, and start drafting a SOP. They'll all take time, and perhaps you'll end up applying after graduation like I did. Also, your interests might change in your last year of undergrad--I know mine did.

One way to do it is to get an MS with, say, plasma related research, and then while you're at it, take some of the required physics courses. That said, most MS programs are unfunded and will be expensive, so you're going to have to look for an RA, TA, or a GSA. After that, apply for a physics PhD program. In the meantime, that your interests will either change, or you'll get more motivated towards pursuing a physics PhD program. A friend of mine from undergrad is going this route with biomedical engineering, except that she's applying to Canadian programs.

That is quite an interesting idea! How hard do you suppose, it'd be to land a TA/ RA position as an MS student? 

Please tell me more about this superconductivity lab! I've never once heard of it??

Good luck with publishing! That's going to give your profile a real boost! I never got around to publish my research though, and I'm thinking of consulting a professor at my new university to get his feedback on the topic.

I believe you should consult some of the professors at your university and get their feedback as well. What you can do now is start prepping for the GRE to take it when you're ready, and start drafting a SOP. They'll all take time, and perhaps you'll end up applying after graduation like I did. Also, your interests might change in your last year of undergrad--I know mine did.

It's in BUET. I've heard it's a pretty expensive facility(for Bangladesh) and the Professor who runs it, is quite renowned here and overseas. It's mostly a semi-conductor Physics Lab. But I've seen some superconductivity research going on there. 

I'd love to apply after graduation but right now it seems quite difficult. But I'm taking GRE prep slowly :rolleyes:  

Moreover as I'm applying to the ECE department do you think still it'd be too much of a stretch to get into CAL schools?

Since you are applying in the same undergrad field (I think?) then it should be less of a stretch. But, the U California schools are still very tough for international students across almost all fields (unless ECE is an exception!)

That is quite an interesting idea! How hard do you suppose, it'd be to land a TA/ RA position as an MS student? 

It depends on the university. There are some whose departments are in charge of TA assignments, and for some the professors are. In most cases, professors are in charge of RA, so you'd have to contact them if your research interests match and ask if they're taking any students. For most top schools, securing MS funding before admission is extremely tough and only those who have previous (proper, solid) research experience can manage an RA. After admission however, it gets a lot easier--in which case you'd most likely have to pay the fees for a semester/quarter (or two at most), and you'll be funded from the next term onwards. On the other hand, lower ranked schools (say, below 80) are much more generous with MS funding, making it easier to secure an RA or a TA. You should look at the funding sections of the admissions pages of the universities. The ones that do fund usually say so. Ones like Northwestern explicitly pronounce that they don't fund any MS students. UMich says they don't fund MS students on admission, but students usually find funding after they're in.

One of the PIs I contacted at UMich said he'll discuss our terms and the project he'll assign me to after I arrive on campus. His research area is organic photvoltaics and carbon nanotube materials. Interestingly, he was a physics major who did his PhD in EE.