Non-majors in SLP

Hey everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone knows of programs which allow non-majors to apply for candidacy towards the M.A. / M.S. in SLP without the usual prerequisites (i.e., a biological science, physics/chemistry, statistics, social/behavioral science) or that allow non-majors to apply with the understanding that they should have those prereqs fulfilled prior to enrollment? I know that the University of the Pacific SLP program does not have any prereqs for application but obliges candidates to fulfill the usual prereqs before graduating. Vanderbilt also allows applicants with little to no SLP background but asks them to complete the prereqs prior to enrollment. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign considers non-majors as "fast-trackers" and admits them as grad students with limited status so that they can fulfill the prerequisites.

I recently graduated with a B.A. in French and Philosophy from Notre Dame and so do not have a formal background in SLP. I would need to take another biological science (since my undergrad credit was in plant biology) and statistics (I might have to take another social science if Intro to Criminology is not accepted too). I have only found the above programs to be open to non-major applications and would appreciate anyone's input!

Thanks!

There are lots of schools that offer "extended" masters programs. Several of the CSU's do (San Jose State, CSU East Bay in Hayward, etc.) do. CSU Northridge online guarantees students in its post-bac admissions to its master's if you maintain a certain GPA. Ditto for Loma Linda (not online) if I recall correctly.

For your social science credit, I would recommend Child Development because even if you hope to work with adults after grad school, you will need to take several classes focusing on kids during your master's. The more you know about what is typical development, the easier it will be to recognize what isn't.

Delta College offers a Child & Adolescent Development online course and while I haven't taken it, the Delta courses are by far the cheapest way to knock out requirements: https://classes.deltacollege.edu/schedule/sections.cfm?term=20&year=201516&region=INET&dept=CDEV&course=CDEV%20%20%20%20021

I ended up doing prereqs while applying, but didn't have them all completed by the time I applied. I also considered coming in no prereqs, so I looked into a lot of programs that didn't require any. There are really lots of programs (like the majority have some type of option) and many don't advertise well. I'd try an approach where you look into programs you might be interested in and then contact the program to see exactly what tracks they have. You will be surprised that many programs have either a three year track or prereqs that can be satisfied the summer prior to enrollment (and who require science, social science, stats, bio just to be completed prior to graduation). 

I assumed you were in Stockton based on your signature so that's why I mentioned Delta, but as a CA resident, you can take courses from any of the community colleges and pay the same rate. Most offer online coursework so do check around for ones that interest you.