Javits fellowship deadline/ other fellowships?

far_to_go

Hey all!

For some reason I thought the application for the Jacob Javits fellowship (http://www.ed.gov/programs/jacobjavits/index.html) was in mid-November. Imagine my surprise, then, when I visited the fellowship site and found out that the deadline is actually OCTOBER 5! Fortunately, my profs all agreed to get me the rec letters in time, my transcripts from undergrad institutions are on their way, and I should be able to get the packet mailed in on time as long as I can produce a satisfactory personal statement before Monday.

So just wanted to put it out there for any of you thinking of applying for the Javits... if you haven't done it yet, get on it right away. Like yesterday. :o

Anyone else applying for other national level fellowships? I feel like that's a topic that doesn't get addressed much on this board. Do most people just not bother with it, or don't want to talk about it for fear of encouraging possible competitors? Just wondering...

Cheerio!

Hey far_to_go,

I was considering the Javits fellowship but the due date was just a little bit too soon. I'm still waiting for transcripts and my GRE scores just arrived yesterday. But I am applying for the Ford diversity fellowship and the NSF GRFP. I might try for the Javits next year.

Yeah, I have it on my list. When I saw that date two weeks ago I emailed all my writers and asked them to crank me out just one copy and that the rest could wait until the end of the month. I just picked up a LOR today. Had to drive a city over to get it because I was scared the mail wouldn't get here in time. I would like to throw my hat in the Ford Diversity ring too but, gosh, I am soooooooooooo busy. 21 hours, 10 apps, my research job, etc. *sigh* Right now I'm just so damn tired. Maybe i'll get it together for one more major fellowship.

I hear you, coyabean! I feel like this whole app process is a massive endurance test, designed to weed out all but the most dedicated (or the most desperate). Wonder what it would be like if they made a "Survivor: PhD" series...

Good luck on the Ford Diversity and NSF GRFP, jennyb! I may apply for the NSF GRFP as well. Probably won't apply for the Ford, since I'm white :)

I hear you, coyabean! I feel like this whole app process is a massive endurance test, designed to weed out all but the most dedicated (or the most desperate). Wonder what it would be like if they made a "Survivor: PhD" series...

Good luck on the Ford Diversity and NSF GRFP, jennyb! I may apply for the NSF GRFP as well. Probably won't apply for the Ford, since I'm white :)

Man, don't let something like that stop you! LOL I love it. THis process is making me the kind of crazy where everything is hilarious.

I must be the biggest idiot alive. I sent in my fellowship app today, all pleased with myself for getting it done in like 3 days and getting LOR's from all over the world in time. OF COURSE i forgot to send 1 original and 2 copies, so instead of 3 sets of my app the DOE will receive only one. Worst way in the world to scrw up an application. i'm so pissed at myself!