GRE+GMAT

hulihuo

Hi hulihuo,

You probably will NOT need to take both the GRE and GMAT for the Programs that you're considering (the tests are similar in enough ways that the Schools will likely accept either score as part of the application process). However, you can (and SHOULD) research that information to be sure - try each School's website - my guess is that the information will not be hard to find.

Have you done any studying for either Test so far?

When are you planning to apply?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on applying for the 2016 fall semester. 

I have already taken the GRE and got a reasonably good score: 330

I am wondering if it would benefit my application to take both even if it is not necessarily required that I have scores for both.  I also feel I would get a better score on the GMAT if I take it.

Hi hulihuo,

A 330 is a strong overall GRE score. What were your scores for the Quant and Verbal sections? 

Have you done any work to prepare for the GMAT? Have you taken any practice GMAT CAT Tests? If you're interested, you can download 2 free CATs (along with some additional practice materials from www.mba.com. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to do so in one sitting.

Rich

I had 162Q 168V      Not a great math day. 

I have not yet taken a practice test, but I almost always get a better relative score if people think the test is more difficult.

When I look at the conversion charts, a 330 GRE equals about a 700 GMAT.  A 330 GRE comes out to about 99th percentile on charts I have found, while a 710 GMAT comes out to about 90th percentile... so, as far as I can tell, you probably should take the GMAT also if you are applying to a top business school?

Hi hulihuo,

Many Business Schools now accept either a GMAT or a GRE score, so you should submit whichever score makes you look 'better.'

Do you know which specific Schools you're planning to apply to? That might impact which score you should send. As an example, a Top Finance-based Program (or other Specialty Program) would probably not be impressed with the Q162, even though your Overall GRE score is strong. That would mean retaking the GRE or training to take the GMAT (so that you could score at a high level in THAT Quant section).

Rich

Hi hulihuo,

With Schools/Programs that are that competitive, a strong OVERALL profile is required, so you might want to discuss your situation with an Admissions Expert. That Expert would probably be able to offer a more detailed perspective on how competitive your GRE score is (and whether you should take the GMAT or not).

Rich