Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

Well, I have found myself in a bit of a situation here. I emailed UDs director today and he informed me that there is no news yet... So I am still waiting. I know that if they offered admission I would accept. I've determined that wouldn't be able to fly to IN until April 4 and I am nervous that I will hear from UD after I have a visit scheduled in Inidiana. 

Will Indiana be understanding if I were to cancel the visit? I wouldn't want to visit knowing that I will not be accepting their offer. I still haven't responded to IN's directors email. 

37 minutes ago, KnowVac said:

Well, I have found myself in a bit of a situation here. I emailed UDs director today and he informed me that there is no news yet... So I am still waiting. I know that if they offered admission I would accept. I've determined that wouldn't be able to fly to IN until April 4 and I am nervous that I will hear from UD after I have a visit scheduled in Inidiana. 

Will Indiana be understanding if I were to cancel the visit? I wouldn't want to visit knowing that I will not be accepting their offer. I still haven't responded to IN's directors email. 

I would plan a visit to IN, and if you hear from UD before that visit I think it is perfectly acceptable to be honest with IN and say that you will be cancelling because you accepted elsewhere. Obviously in a polite and respectful manner. Especially if IN is not paying for the visit, there is nothing wrong with scheduling it but changing your mind if you accept somewhere else. I think it is potentially rude to attend if you already accept somewhere else. Remember, it seems like a big deal to us but to the schools they do this every year, they know not everyone will commit to their school, its ok. Don't burn bridges but also don't feel obligated to continue a visit when you know for sure you will not be attending. 

If it helps, to all the schools I visited but declined, I sent an email once I made my decision to the people I specifically talked with, thanking them for their time and complimenting their program. I simply said I decided on a school that was a better fit for me but that I hope to see/work with/talk to them in the future. I think this same rule would apply if you booked a visit but then backed out because you ended up at a school that you know is a better fit for you. 

Sorry for the ramble, I have been writing a manuscript all morning and am dying for a break from grammar. HAHA. 

41 minutes ago, KnowVac said:

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. You're obviously a caring person, seeing as you wouldn't feel right visiting a school if you had no intention on accepting an offer. Schools appreciate the honesty, and while they may lose out on a great student, I'm sure they understand it's a two way street. It's definitely their loss, but at the end of the day you have to do what you feel is right. 

@liesandfish In response to your earlier post.. I definitely wouldn't think that you are "needy" at all.  It is extremely nice to be able to have time to sit and talk individually with the professors (and future possible mentors) one-on-one.  In my experience at the interview day at JJay, there was one table where three of us (applicants) got to sit with 3 of the students who were already in the Ph D program (each in a different year) and just talk things over... and it constantly felt like one of the other applicants tried to one-up you after each question.  It was a little frustrating.

@KnowVac I definitely agree with both @liesandfish and @Partinrn in regards to the visit.

Lastly, I really hope that we can all stay in touch and since I am sure that we will all be going to at least one of the same conferences... meet up at one point.  I really truly appreciate all the good vibes.

20 hours ago, Partinrn said:

I would definitely contact them if it has been a month. All PhD programs must adhere to the April 15 deadline (students must give intent by then unless given permission to extend the time).  Since that's only a little over a month away I would think the students that were going to decline would have done so; though a few schools may still be ironing out financial details and they may be waiting to hear back from all schools before committing. Keep your head up!

Thank you for your response. I might have to wait till next week as I think those 15 applicants at rutgers receive their offer this week. Then the people who decide against it, will contact the program director afterwards. I am just so stressed about it, as I will conduct my masters dissertation in Chicago but do not know when I need to book the flight back to Europe. This all depends on my visa (the US does not let me enter the country unless I prove I have a flight back to Europe within 90 days). Is there anyone in this forum who attended the visit at Rutgers but will not accept their offer? And @ThesisTerror724 what did you think about Rutgers? How was the visit? what do you think are the benefits of rutgers or UCI? 

Also to all of you: Everyone of you sound very educated and experienced! I am 23 years old and when reading your comments in this forum, I feel really young. If I cannot get into a PhD, what work experience would you advise me to get? 

@liesandfish I appreciate the rambling! Haha it's been so awesome to be able to bounce thoughts around with everyone on this forum! Do you think it would still be okay to politely cancel if the school is paying for it?

@Partinrn thanks for the reply! I really feel for the people who where accepted to a lot of programs! I could not send that many "thanks but no thanks" emails lol I'm over here having anxiety attacks about  possibly, maybe, potentially having to write one haha

47 minutes ago, KnowVac said:

@liesandfish I appreciate the rambling! Haha it's been so awesome to be able to bounce thoughts around with everyone on this forum! Do you think it would still be okay to politely cancel if the school is paying for it?

@Partinrn thanks for the reply! I really feel for the people who where accepted to a lot of programs! I could not send that many "thanks but no thanks" emails lol I'm over here having anxiety attacks about  possibly, maybe, potentially having to write one haha

Definitely! Plus I am sure they will appreciate and respect you not using funds when you know you are not going to accept. I think just be honest and polite- but absolutely. Also, remember most of the faculty have been in our shoes at some point, so they should understand the situation. :) 

side note: anyone going to ACJS in a few weeks? Want to meet up? 

@judiths good for you! 23 is not too young (and not tooooo long ago for me. ;) ) age is not a factor when it comes to application and learning, in my opinion. My younger sister is already in a PhD program (same field-different interests thank goodness!!) because we took different life patches. She started when she was 22 into the program so I think everyone has a different way of getting here which makes us all work and thinking in ways that continue to expand the field. This is part of why I think competition is dumb, we all bring different things to the table- why not listen and grow to make our field even stronger?!? 

@judiths I loved Rutgers as far as the faculty and students. I will be choosing UCI however for the research interests so I will be declining their offer if one is made. If I had a more narrow focus, I would totally go to Rutgers. 

@liesandfish I will be there for sure. I'll be staying with a friend Wednesday, the hotel Thursday and Friday, and then my friend again Saturday and Sunday. So let's definitely meet up and anyone else who would like! Just let me know if you have a preference on day or whatever. 

@ThesisTerror724 I absolutely understand your decision. UCI is an amazing program and I would not decline this offer neither. Best of luck!! What is your research interest? I actually know exactly what I want to research and had a Skype conversation with one of the professors at Rutgers before I applied. Unfortunately I did terrible on the GRE :( I guess that's the reason why I am on the waiting list. I found it very expensive to apply for all these programs. Can we receive a refund if we have been declined? 

@liesandfish oh that makes me happy!!! Yes, luckily you do not have the same research interest!! And I completely have to agree with you, I love learning from other people's viewpoints and experiences. eg. I study Criminology in the UK, so we learn a lot about crime prevention strategies and public opinion on crime. In my home country (Austria) we do not have such a punitive thinking about criminals. However when I worked in the United States and spoke to some of the locals, I experienced a strong disapproval of reintegrating ex-offenders. I was really shocked, as I strongly believe in rehabilitation. Thus, I guess it would be a great opportunity for me to study in the USA. I would love to become a comparative criminologist/penologist. When looking at prisons in Norway and then at USA, you see a tremendous and shocking difference. I would not blame the justice system solely, as this is highly influenced by public opinion. Very interesting, you should google Norway prisons and you will be surprised!! 

On 11 March 2016 at 2:31 PM, ThesisTerror724 said:

@judiths I have never heard of issuing refunds in the case of rejections. I'm sorry. 

Rutgers unofficially said that they hoped to admit those who they interviewed. I don't know if they will pull from the wait list when rejections come through though. 

OK, I guess I cannot do anything but wait anyway. I hate that feeling :S

9 hours ago, ThesisTerror724 said:

It HAS been quiet. I have been getting ready for ACJS and plugging away at my thesis. I also applied for housing at UCI so hopefully I get a single or a normal roommate. 

Just did my analysis for my ACJS presentation- nothing like waiting....opps. Good luck getting your thesis done! The best feeling is getting the final approval. 

Next week I will probably see again who wants to meet at ACJS!! 

On 17 March 2016 at 0:58 PM, ThesisTerror724 said:

Keep me updated! I'm pulling for you! 

Thank you. 13/15 who have visited Rutgers were accepted. the school can only accept 8 -10 students, so if 6 people decline, I have a chance (in worst case scenario). I will most likely have to wait for another 3 weeks to hear about the decisions. 

2 hours ago, judiths said:

Thank you. 13/15 who have visited Rutgers were accepted. the school can only accept 8 -10 students, so if 6 people decline, I have a chance (in worst case scenario). I will most likely have to wait for another 3 weeks to hear about the decisions. 

Good luck! I feel your pain, waiting is excruciating! 

On 3/17/2016 at 7:59 AM, ThesisTerror724 said:

It HAS been quiet. I have been getting ready for ACJS and plugging away at my thesis. I also applied for housing at UCI so hopefully I get a single or a normal roommate. 

I'm also in final thesis prep mode. I defend on April 1st. I'm also finishing course work due on the 1st & a 2,000-3,000 word encyclopedia entry due on the 31st.... why do I do these things to myself?