Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

20 hours ago, wannabeDr said:

Anyone else going to Cincinnati this Fall?

I am! But I think we already talked about that.  What are your interests within biosocial crim btw?  I think (changes a lot) I would like to study self-control, nutrition and neurocrim (head trauma?)--not sure, though.  Also, do you know the length of the PhD program at UC with and without a master's? I have completed my MA but I wouldn't mind retaking some courses to better assimilate with the faculty/program at UC.

6 minutes ago, altikr25 said:

I am! But I think we already talked about that.  What are your interests within biosocial crim btw?  I think (changes a lot) I would like to study self-control, nutrition and neurocrim (head trauma?)--not sure, though.  Also, do you know the length of the PhD program at UC with and without a master's? I have completed my MA but I wouldn't mind retaking some courses to better assimilate with the faculty/program at UC.

The length of a phd at cincy is dependent on you. It can be done in 4 with a masters, and I know someone that took 7 years to get it without one. If you have an MA I would not suggest retaking classes as you'll learn everything again your first year. 

3 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

The length of a phd at cincy is dependent on you. It can be done in 4 with a masters, and I know someone that took 7 years to get it without one. If you have an MA I would not suggest retaking classes as you'll learn everything again your first year. 

Great!  Thanks for that info.

@GradStudent2016 COngrats!!!!  That's great!!!

As far as ACJS... I am not going this year but I am 90% sure that I will be there next year.  I really hope to be able to meet up with some of you guys...  Two of my mentors are going this year though... Dr. Eric Piza and Dr. Maki Haberfeld.  I know that Dr. Haberfeld will be sitting at the Carolina Academic Press Table on Thursday (3/31) from 2-3pm.  She is an amazing person to sit and talk with (former Lt in the Israeli National Police) and an amazing policing and terrorism expert (also serving in the Israeli Defense Services in a counter-terrorist unit).  For anyone interested in crime mapping/GIS/crime analysis/environmental crim... Dr. Piza is an amazing source to sit an talk with.

Both of them are incredible and super easy to talk to and come from such diverse backgrounds (especially in training and their backgrounds, etc.)... 

On that note.. hope to finally get to meet some of you at this event next year!!

On 2/11/2016 at 10:44 AM, wannabeDr said:

If anyone admitted at UC has any questions (life in Cincinnati, how the school is, etc), my friends and I would be happy to help! We are currently in their MS program, and will begin the PhD program this Fall. 

Hey, I just discovered this forum yesterday! I will be attending UC's phd program this fall. I've been looking into housing, but I'm not quite sure where the best places to live are. I heard the gaslight district was a great area to live, but that's about it. Any suggestions?    

32 minutes ago, GradStudent2016 said:

Hey, I just discovered this forum yesterday! I will be attending UC's phd program this fall. I've been looking into housing, but I'm not quite sure where the best places to live are. I heard the gaslight district was a great area to live, but that's about it. Any suggestions?    

I would strongly oppose living in the gaslight district. I lived there for most of my undergrad and part of my grad and unless you are drinking all the time or don't mind loud and crazy people until the wee hours of the morning, avoid it like the plague. Apartments off campus, namely Hyde Park (close to school and great area), would be a much better option. Of course this is my $.02. I've been in Cincy for 29 years but as always, your mileage may vary. 

Edited by Partinrn

4 hours ago, Partinrn said:

I would strongly oppose living in the gaslight district. I lived there for most of my undergrad and part of my grad and unless you are drinking all the time or don't mind loud and crazy people until the wee hours of the morning, avoid it like the plague. Apartments off campus, namely Hyde Park (close to school and great area), would be a much better option. Of course this is my $.02. I've been in Cincy for 29 years but as always, your mileage may vary. 

Okay, thank you! I will definitely check out Hyde Park then.  

On 3/22/2016 at 3:19 PM, liesandfish said:

ACJS: how does meeting up after the posters on Friday night sound? 

Also- I have formally turned down all other offers to other schools- I hope someone gets some funding out of that! 

@GradStudent2016 

Meeting up Friday after the posters sounds great! 

I have also formally turned down all of my other offers so best of luck with additional funding! 

5 minutes ago, CatwithaHat said:

Yay! Nice to meet you! I am starting the doctoral program there in CJ. What about you?

Yes I am as well. Sent you a message. :)

Edited by liesandfish

On March 21, 2016 at 8:54 PM, altikr25 said:

Oh nice! I think it is usually 4-5 years. I don't think they want people staying longer than that! You will have to take courses for sure, it's a requirement! You might be able to get some of your credits recognized though.. 

I am interested in neuropsychology and sex offending, and personality traits of sex offenders and other violent offenders!

if you have any other questions send me a msg! Hope I can help! 

On March 23, 2016 at 10:26 AM, GradStudent2016 said:

Hey! Sorry for the late response! I'll send you a msg with some info about housing! 

Hey all! I just got back from my visit to IU and I formally accepted my offer from Indiana today. I was really impressed with the department and the direction that it seems to be heading. I just kind of wanted  to update on here for two reasons: (1) I hope that I can meet with all of you at future conferences, it would be nice to meet everyone who has been so helpful throughout this entire process! And (2) I hope that next year's applicants who are feverishly re-reading our time capsule of sorts next year, might find some information on IU's program helpful (as there seemed to be a lack of that for me this year!) 

IU's program has really been restructured  in the past few years and a lot of new faculty have been and are being brought in. They will have two new faculty members this year and a very exciting prospect for the following year! I was very impressed with the comradery of the program's current students and also, the diversity of interests within the department. Additionally, interdisciplinary research is encouraged and in fact required, as all phd students must have a minor outside of the department-choosing from top programs like IU's sociology and history departments. The impression I got is that most students that are accepted to the program are fully funded. 

To to my fellow forum mates: thanks for all of your help and free counseling this application season! I would've gone insane without y'all and I look forward to meeting you guys and possibly working with you all in the future!