How do LORs work?

Okay this might be a stupid question but..how do LORs work? Do the professors that are writing one for you simply type something up and hand it to you to mail in with your application? Do they email it to the department chair of the schools your applying to? Are you able to see what they have written? I'm just slightly confused by how the process works and don't want to look like an idiot when asking my professors to write me LORs!

Hey! For the most part you will contact with a mentor who you think can provide you with a strong LOR. This can be someone you've taken a course with, worked for, or anything combining the two. Let them know that you are interested in applying to a graduate program, where you see yourself applying to, and humbly ask if they can be your reference. Judging by how well you know them, you can assess whether they will be open to do so. I also recommend you give them ample time in advance (months, not weeks or days). Depending on the program, they may either do it electronically (access the schools' portal to upload) or provide you with a sealed copy to submit. 

Whether or not you can see it beforehand is a bit tricky. Again, that's for you to work out with the referee. Sometimes they may even ask you to write it yourself, and let them sign it. All in all, it's a case by case basis!

Hope that helps!

When you fill out your graduate school application, you will supply the e-mail of the professors that you are getting LORs from.  Your professor will get a LOR request in their inbox and go from there. 

Along with a letter, some schools also require a supplemental form for the professor to fill out.  Two of the schools I applied to required one. They had my professors rate me on a scale from 1-5 on things like "Chance of being a successful SLP", "Writing Skills", and "Ability to Verbally Express Ideas".  They will send this form to your professor.

When you fill out your application there is a box that says, "I waive my right to see my LOR".  You can find a lot of info. online about it.  I like this write up:  http://wiselikeus.com/collegewise/2010/09/should-you-waive-your-rights-to-see-your-letters-of-rec.html

Like Jay said, make sure you ask your professors well in advance.  Some professors have to write A LOT of rec. letters.  Also, my professors knew me very well, but still asked for me to bring them my transcripts and my resume (I even gave one of my professors a copy of one of my research papers).  It couldn't hurt to have that information ready to give them when you go in to talk to them about writing a letter.

My undergrad recommended that you always waive your rights to see the letter. I think it looks better to the school you're applying to that you trust your LOR writer and are okay with not reading it. All the schools I applied to had me input profs emails and then my profs clicked a link that was sent to them and just uploaded the letter. The applications also had a spot for me to click and waive my right to see it.