international school psych applicants in USA

coldplate

Hi all,

Just wondering if there's any international applicants (canada, asia, south america) who applied or is aware of attending a school psych program in the states (EdS/masters/phd) and if that makes us eligible to work and practice upon completion of the degree. Is a green card required? I'm applying to several EdS programs which are 3 years long but you don't get your green card until staying in the States for 5 years, so if residency/citizenship status is an issue then considering the degree in the US is out of the question

Thank you in advance!

You get one year (I think? A limited time) of being able to work in the U.S. After that you will have to find an employer to sponsor your visa which can be difficult.

Fortunately, you don't need a green card to study in the U.S. International students stay in the U.S. with a student visa called F-1 visa. Once you get accepted, a school will send you an I-20 and you will use it to apply for F-1.

Also, you will not get a green card  by just studying in the U.S., regardless of how long you stay there. In other words, even studying 10 or 100  years in the U.S. will never automatically make you a legally permanent resident. 

I understand that, and I'm aware F1 grants me student status. What I need to know is if I can work and be certified with the state (in this case, New York) once I graduate. Basically, if it requires permanent residency/citizenship to work as a school psych in the state, then no way am i eligible, or that's my understanding of it 

If you have known it already, that's great. When you said " I'm applying to several EdS programs which are 3 years long but you don't get your green card until staying in the States for 5 years" I'm just afraid you misunderstand about how to get a green card. So need to correct it just in case.

I am not in the school psych field so honestly I am also not sure about your case. You need to check whether just getting a license requires citizenship/residency. In terms of getting a job, it depends on what you want to do. For example, I don't think you will be able to find government-related jobs. Again, I am not in the field so take my comment with a grain of salt!