What's a good GRE Psychology subject score?

sublime

Hi everyone!

I am applying to Social Psych PhD programs and I'm wondering if I should report my Subject score. I have a 700 (or was it 710?). None of the programs require a subject score. I don't even know how good my score is...there's barely any info out there.

Is it a decent enough score to just add it to the score report, or should I not bother if its a so-so score?

My general GRE score is 1350 combined. Some schools I'm applying to...UC Irvine, USC, UCRiverside, Berkeley, Stanford.

Any thoughts...

I've mostly looked at School and Clinical programs, but a 700 is pretty good. Some schools look at the percentile too (not sure what that is for you). I asked a similar question on another board (I only scored around 650) and was told that that was good enough to send, and that it's not that important.

Although it definitely wouldn't hurt you to send it, one reason a lot of schools use it is to ensure you understand psych basics, and thus it is most important for those with a low psych GPA or those without a psych background.

Hi everyone!

I am applying to Social Psych PhD programs and I'm wondering if I should report my Subject score. I have a 700 (or was it 710?). None of the programs require a subject score. I don't even know how good my score is...there's barely any info out there.

Is it a decent enough score to just add it to the score report, or should I not bother if its a so-so score?

What is the percentile? That will tell you if it is a decent enough score to send.

for the subject test

can you skip questions and have them not count? so if i skip 10 questions and get 3 wrong does it becomes......out of 205 instead of 215 adn then x 3 (1/4) for the 3 i got wrong?

so i could skip like 20 questions and have it not be held against me?

that seems so strange lol

for the subject test

can you skip questions and have them not count? so if i skip 10 questions and get 3 wrong does it becomes......out of 205 instead of 215 adn then x 3 (1/4) for the 3 i got wrong?

so i could skip like 20 questions and have it not be held against me?

that seems so strange lol

You could skip 50 if you wanted to. You won't get any points for them, so obviously your raw score is going to suffer (though less than it would from being wrong on them).

As cogneuro suggests, wait until you receive your subject test score results in the mail to determine how well you did since your scaled score will be calculated based on the results of all other test takers who took the exam on your test date. Note that the psych subject test is NOT scored on the same scale as the GRE general test; the scaled scores range from 200 to 990. The range of scores, however, tends to be much smaller. Generally speaking, a score of 700 is usually in the range of 80% -- a very respectable score. Congrats!

I recommend checking out the GRE psych subject bulletin on the ETS web site for further information on the scoring process and breakdown by subscale. Good luck to all!

• 3 weeks later...