(ClinicalPsych) accepted GRE averages vs. actual GRE scores

lwalker2009

Hi guys :)

I plan on applying to doctoral programs in clinical (neuro)psychology for Fall 2016. I just took my GRE for the second time yesterday (after spending HUNDREDS of dollars and hours studying - Magoosh and Kaplan) and I still don't have the score I was looking for. As we all know, programs always list the avg stats of their students, and all of my potential programs have 160 Q 160 V and higher.

Well...I got a 150 Q 159 V (up from 147 Q 157 V on the last test). I just cannot break 160 to save my life. I don't have the morale or more importantly the funds to take this test again. Should I still apply to my programs? How many standard deviations from the average scores do you think actually represent numbers in the program? Do many programs really throw out applications based on GRE scores alone when there is an overwhelming number of applicants? I can give my other credentials if you guys need more info. But yeah, what have your experiences been?

This may not be entirely universal and very dependent on the rankings of programs you apply to, but, it seems like GRE scores are most frequently used as a filtering system then an indication of whether or not you deserve funding. So I think the answer to your application throwing out question is "maybe, potentially."

In a hyper-competitive field like clinical psychology, GRE scores will matter. On the other hand, since there are SO many applicants that all have decent-great stats, research fit is going to matter that much more. My completely subjective advice is to still apply but make sure you're applying to places/faculty with excellent fit. GRE scores will still matter but they might not matter as much if you can demonstrate great research fit in your SOP/keep up communication with faculty.

As far as my experience, I applied to programs in two fields with quite a variety in rankings with a GRE verbal score that was good, writing score that was decent and a quant score that was passable . My rejections were 1) the top ranked school I applied to (probably immediately filtered because of my quant score) & 2) a few programs all across the board (as far as rankings go) that I either didn't exchange more than a couple emails with a POI or was reaching pretty far to relate my research interests to theirs. My acceptances were 1) the second highest ranked school I applied to & 2) a few programs all across the board that I either kept up conversation with a POI or fit into the program perfectly. I could be wrong but I don't think it's a coincidence that some places, regardless their ranking/average GRE scores of admitted students, were willing to take a shot on me even though I had an average quant score. This is also where my subjective advice above is coming from so you can take it or leave it. :)

Remember that these are averages - so these are numbers that represent all scores combined -  which means people who've been accepted have scores lower than 160 and some have higher.  For all you know, almost every applicant got in the 150-157 range and one or two people scored very high and pulled up the average. That's why you can't measure yourself by averages, especially because these numbers tell you zip about the rest of the profile of the people who were accepted.

Edited by Mystic_Fog

Well, look at it this way - you studied hard and got the score. If you dont apply for coming Fall, you basically wasted all this time and money. This is because if you take a break for an year again, chances are that - you need to start the GRE prep all over again.

So instead of not applying and therefore zero chances of getting it, apply and enjoy at least some chances of getting it. Who knows, the Adcom may really love your statement of purpose and your academic achievements so far. And you if get an interview, may be you can even impress them with your personality! May be studying for GRE twice earned you some good karma that would get in you!

Good luck!

Edit - Your verbal score is actually very good.

Edited by PsychChick

• 2 weeks later...

Your score is absolutely good enough to get into a PhD program. Do not doubt yourself and I would throw out as many applications to (realistic) programs as possible. This doesn't mean you shouldn't apply to a program that publishes accepted averages of 1350's, but don't waste your $$ on highly competitive programs (often referred to as 'dream schools').

Although the score you received may be below your personal standards and what you expect of yourself, you will definitely get your foot in the door and at least most likely survive the outright rejection cuts due to low GRE scores. Best of luck!!  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!  I am in a similar boat.  My GRE scores were not as good as I hoped for despite studying A LOT and taking courses.  I got pretty average scores and felt like my dream of grad school was over.  That is, until I talked to my boss (a professor in the field that I want to go into) and he gave me some solid advice. 

He said that for clinical psychology, GRE scores are not supposed to be the highlight of your application.  They're not supposed to be a weakness either (which I don't believe your scores are), but they don't have to be the highlight of your clinical psych application.  Research experience, publications, good letters of rec, and posters are much more important than the GRE.  The GRE is just supposed to make sure that you can deal with classes that come along with the program.  I ended up scoring better on the Quant than Verbal and he told me that the quant scores were more important.  

If I were you, I would still apply if the rest of my application was well rounded. I hope that helps and to good luck as the application season approaches!!! 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What happens when only one part of your GRE score is low? My quant score is just around the 50th percentile (I still have my old scores from 5 years ago, it was around the 70th percentile before the new GRE came into effect), while my verbal, analytic, and psych scores are all above the 80th percentile. 

23 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

What happens when only one part of your GRE score is low? My quant score is just around the 50th percentile (I still have my old scores from 5 years ago, it was around the 70th percentile before the new GRE came into effect), while my verbal, analytic, and psych scores are all above the 80th percentile. 

Your quant score is fine. Half of the people who got into the program in my year got around that range.