Switching Concentrations after Graduating From a Program?

Vaulkhar

Hey all, 

I'm gonna try to keep what is a long story very short. I graduated this summer from a somewhat unique program. It was a transnational program in which I spent a year in the States and another year abroad in Europe working on the coursework for a Master's degree in modern Eastern European history and political science respectively. Then I spent a couple years back in the States writing the two theses for my respective universities. I just graduated this summer and received both degrees. Naturally, I'm thinking of going back to school! However, I am considering my options. I have always had a love for medieval history; particularly the history of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy and pre-Christian European religion. So much so that prior to my joining the afore-mentioned program I was strongly considering going to graduate school for medieval history but in the end I never applied. So I have a couple questions I wish to submit to these boards:

1: Does making such a drastic shift in concentration have any precedent? In other words, am I "stuck" on modern history now?

2: Will the degrees I have received benefit me at all during the application and review process, should I choose to actually make the shift?
3: Given the possible change up in concentration, I'm guessing that I would probably have to wait another two years or so just to get my languages up to snuff. Does anyone have any experience with good programs I should take a look at that deal with early Medieval history?

Thanks for an feedback. Aside from working slowly but surely on my theses, I've been out of the academic loop for a couple years. 

I know of people who switched from, say, early Latin American history to modern U.S. history while in a PhD program, so it's not unprecedented. I don't personally know anyone who switched to a different field from what they did in their MA, but I'm sure people have. You have the right idea about languages. I think having a graduate degree, even in another field (and poli sci is a sister discipline to history...I've used scholarship by political scientists in many projects), shows you have the preparation to do a dissertation, especially since you completed two theses. Right now I would focus on language acquisition and think about how and if your MA experiences can be used in your current research interests--methodologically perhaps? At the very least you have experience in primary source research, which is very important. I would also focus on brushing up on the historiography related to your research interests. All of this can be put into a SOP.

Basically you have to show adcomms that you benefited from your grad experience (gained research experience, methodology, have broad knowledge that can give you a unique perspective, etc) and that you've done the legwork to prepare for a shift in research.

Switching fields is not a problem. I did my MA in medieval Europe and am switching to early modern Europe for PhD. If you have relevant coursework, even from undergrad, in the area you want to pursue for PhD, that's always a plus. If you have publications/conference presentations/archival research etc in the area you did your MA in, that's still good because it shows you know *how* to do research, even if you want to go for a different field for your next degree.

Use the time during your application cycle to brush up on languages and remember that many programs don't require you to pass language exams until your second or third year (before comps and candidacy), so you've got some time. So it's all possible. Not easy, but possible.

3: Given the possible change up in concentration, I'm guessing that I would probably have to wait another two years or so just to get my languages up to snuff.

What languages do you currently have? The field you're talking about is very archaeology-heavy, so experience in that will count for a lot.

What languages do you currently have? The field you're talking about is very archaeology-heavy, so experience in that will count for a lot.

First off, thanks to everyone for the feedback and advice!

Telkanuru, currently I have a limited knowledge of Russian, German and French. Honestly, my ability to read sources in those languages are fairly poor at the moment. With lack of use and indecision on where to go from here my language abilities have deteriorated. 

Outside of classes, is there a way to gain archaeology experience? 

Having German and French is really good. Russian would help you if you wanted to look at Byzantium. You could probably make a decently competitive application with what you have, provided you had a persuasive reason for your switch in your SOP and had a good writing sample in your new area. However, adding Latin to your repertoire would certainly strengthen your application. How you would go about doing this would depend a lot on where you're geographically located (if you want to keep that private, you can PM me and I'll see what I know), but it would also provide a decent amount of time to start practicing your German and French reading skills.

There are often summer archaeology expeditions where professors take undergraduates and need some graduate students to supervise. If you have any contacts at your MA or BA institutions, you might see what they're doing. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck unless you're independently wealthy.

Edited by telkanuru

If you live in the eastern United States, there are often local archaeology projects you might get involved in as a volunteer. (Maybe elsewhere too, but I have no idea.) One of my friends volunteers every weekend in the summer at a colonial-era dig outside our city. The more occasional volunteers get more menial tasks, but as you practice more, you can get to do more interesting things. I don't know how transferrable the skills are to Anglo-Saxon stuff, but it might be a way to get your feet wet and fingers dirty, and at least to figure out if you like that sort of thing.