Did you/will you buy a class ring?

TXInstrument11

43 members have voted

1. 1. Did you/will you buy a class ring for undergrad?

• Haven't graduated yet, but plan on buying
    • Haven't graduated yet, but plan not to
    • Graduated & no, but plan to buy later
    • Graduated & no w/ no plans to buy
    • Graduated & yes, I bought a ring
  2. 2. Did you/will you buy a high school class ring?

3. 3. Did you/will you buy a class ring for graduate school?

I'm not usually one for pomp and circumstance and all that ritualistic tradition crap, but I caved and bought a class ring. I'm the first one in my family to finish college and I won't be able to walk in the ceremony because I'm moving for grad school, so I need some kind of memento. 

As long as it doesn't seem in bad taste to other people, I may opt for a class ring for grad too. 

It's not really about showing off the reputation of the school to me (and my undergrad doesn't have much at that), but more about pride in where I came from and connecting with other graduates from my school.

I didn't bother with high school though and have absolutely no plans to buy a ring. I went ahead and threw that in there too just to see the relative popularity of HS vs college rings. Though I can't imagine why a high schooler would be on here so early, I kept the options the same. Maybe there are a few serious go-getters out there who will be able to use them. 

Edited by TXInstrument11

There are HS rings? Madness. 

I don't really get the point of this. It's not significant enough to wear on a daily basis (unless you're really invested in letting people know that you went to University of X before you've even opened your mouth), and yet it's not strictly decorative jewelry either. I just wouldn't know what to do with a class ring.

In Canada, there are mostly only high school class rings. And maybe like <5% of the people in my class bought them. At the University level, I think class rings existed by some company that wanted to sell them but I did not know anyone who got one. People usually opted for things like sweaters or clothing as a memento. 

However, every engineer in Canada does have a special iron band ring that is awarded in some secret ceremony (I'm not an engineer so I don't know). But in Canada, you'll see a small iron band on the pinky finger of the engineer's writing hand if they chose to go through the ceremony (most engineers I know do it).

However, every engineer in Canada does have a special iron band ring that is awarded in some secret ceremony (I'm not an engineer so I don't know). But in Canada, you'll see a small iron band on the pinky finger of the engineer's writing hand if they chose to go through the ceremony (most engineers I know do it).

Now you see, if there's an actual ceremony with cloaks and daggers involved, I have nothing against that.

Edited by ExponentialDecay

High school class rings were very popular in my area. A majority of my graduating class bought one. 

I was tempted to get an undergraduate class ring but I decided not to at the last minute; the money was better spent on eventual moving costs. Definitely don't see myself getting one at the graduate level.

I think my parents bought me my high school ring, I actually have no idea where it is (oops). Everyone at my high school seemed to get one. I knew of a few people who got them for undergrad. I don't really wear jewelry so it wouldn't make sense for me to get one.

My parents bought me my high school class ring, which I still wear. We didn't have a set one for my HS, so everyone designed their own through Josten's. My undergrad had gorgeous class rings that were specific for the school, so I have one of those too which I wear very often. For grad school though, I do not plan on getting one. Undergrad was a very special time in my life, and the ring represents more than just classes and a degree. Grad school is another story. 

If you want a undergrad class ring and if it will make you happy, then do it :) Don't worry about what other people do or do not buy :)

I agree- I didn't buy an undergrad class ring. Instead I bought a necklace from the school bookstore with a school-related charm on it that is distinctive enough that a fellow collegian would notice it but anyone outside of that community would think it is a normal necklace. It's my small way of feeling connected.

However you decide to commemorate your time there is your choice and as long as you wouldn't regret the money spent on a ring (I'm not sure how much they go for, but am sure they're probably not cheap), then go for it!

Wow, it looks like I'm pretty alone in getting a class ring. This is awkward..... :unsure:

Au contraire, I got a college ring...even had the inner circumference engraved.   

By extension, that means that "all the cool chai_lattes kids did it" and they went overboard w/ engravings!

That's all you need to know.  

Get your ring!!

Have I worn mine?  Nope.

Will I ever?  Probably not.  I think my mom has it somewhere in my old room.

But, it's a memento, and I'm glad I got it.

Edited by Chai_latte