Grad stats or grad math courses?

e58916

Hi there,

This year I have the choice of taking either graduate real analysis (measure theory and functional analysis), or the first year PhD theoretical statistics sequence.

Could someone please advise me about which course sequence might be more beneficial for someone applying to statistics PhD programs? Also, what's a good balance between math and stats classes? I've heard math background is more important for statistics PhD programs. Is undergraduate analysis enough or would graduate analysis be helpful?

Here's some other info that might be relevant.

Concurrent to either choice of course sequences above, I will be taking the graduate sequence in probability and stochastic processes this year.

I've taken some undergraduate analysis courses at my university which covered basic measure theory and functional analysis.

Thanks very much!

Edited by e58916

I think you would be fine with either choice. The only advantage you MIGHT get from the stats class is maybe some other university you apply to will give you credit for that class so you wouldn't have to repeat it. Having said that, the measure theory course would be looked upon very favorable by admissions committees. It's a really tough call in my opinion. I guess if I were you, I'd go with the grad analysis class.