Switching research advisor??

sleeplover

Hello,

I am a 1st year PhD student this coming fall. I'm now working for a new assistant professor in my department. This prof admitted me in the program and I just got to know recently that I am committed to working with this prof for my grad study since this prof agreed to support me financially. At first his research sounded interesting but after working for a month this summer quarter, I didn't feel passionate about this research pathway as well as its background and I am thinking about joining another group. Unfortunately, there's no lab rotation in my program or any opportunity to try working in different labs and we have to settle in a lab in the 1st quarter. Should I try to reach out to other profs that I'm more interested in and ask that prof to fund me or stick to this lab to ensure my funding? I don't have money to pay for tuition fees and feed myself. I know it's bad to leave his lab since I am the only member in the group now since he just got hired a few months ago. Grad school is long and hard so I just would like to work on what fits me and interests me the most. I am open to any advice!!!!

Thanks

Wow.  I know you didn't do it on purpose, but I feel bad for your prof ... losing PhD students affects tenure decisions and he's in his first year.  

Of course, if you're going to be absolutely miserable in his lab, don't let that deter you necessarily.  What I'd do if I were you is wait it out one year in his lab.  This is for a couple of reasons:

1) You make sure you REALLY don't want to do this work, before going through the embarrassment (for both you and him) of switching labs before the semester even starts

2) You get diverse research experiences in both his lab and new prof's lab which is a mild silver lining

3) You don't completely hang him out to dry by ditching him pre-semester when he's taken you on with his grant.  Obviously (I know you know this) your place could have gone to someone else, and you're at this school because of this guy.... If it weren't for him and his grant, you wouldn't have gotten in (probably).  He went to bat for you, not some other professor in some other lab.  The least you can do is give him a solid year's worth of work.  

It's not super uncommon for students to switch Ph.D. advisers after a year.  What is uncommon would be switching before you even start the semester.  So, after a year, if it's just not working out, there'd be significantly less hard feelings than if you leave him high and dry simply because you couldn't be bothered to research how grants and Ph.D. student support work before accepting the offer.

You're in a tough spot; I don't envy you at all.  You shouldn't spend five to seven years in a lab you hate, but at the same time, you don't want to leave before you even start, either.

Good luck?

Edited by gellert
grammar fail :c

Wow.  I know you didn't do it on purpose, but I feel bad for your prof ... losing PhD students affects tenure decisions and he's in his first year.  

Of course, if you're going to be absolutely miserable in his lab, don't let that deter you necessarily.  What I'd do if I were you is wait it out one year in his lab.  This is for a couple of reasons:

1) You make sure you REALLY don't want to do this work, before going through the embarrassment (for both you and him) of switching labs before the semester even starts

2) You get diverse research experiences in both his lab and new prof's lab which is a mild silver lining

3) You don't completely hang him out to dry by ditching him pre-semester when he's taken you on with his grant.  Obviously (I know you know this) your place could have gone to someone else, and you're at this school because of this guy.... If it weren't for him and his grant, you wouldn't have gotten in (probably).  He went to bat for you, not some other professor in some other lab.  The least you can do is give him a solid year's worth of work.  

It's not super uncommon for students to switch Ph.D. advisers after a year.  What is uncommon would be switching before you even start the semester.  So, after a year, if it's just not working out, there'd be significantly less hard feelings than if you leave him high and dry simply because you couldn't be bothered to research how grants and Ph.D. student support work before accepting the offer.

You're in a tough spot; I don't envy you at all.  You shouldn't spend five to seven years in a lab you hate, but at the same time, you don't want to leave before you even start, either.

Good luck?

Thanks for your response. The thing is that he has to pay for my tuition fee as well. Is it bad if he pays for me after a year then I leave? That means he wasted his own money. I know I should wait for some time to switch, so I'm still working and trying to like it if possible. Well, it's hard for me. I really appreciate his help and enthusiasm, but I can't be productive if I have to do something uninteresting.

Thanks for your response. The thing is that he has to pay for my tuition fee as well. Is it bad if he pays for me after a year then I leave? That means he wasted his own money. I know I should wait for some time to switch, so I'm still working and trying to like it if possible. Well, it's hard for me. I really appreciate his help and enthusiasm, but I can't be productive if I have to do something uninteresting.

I mean, it's not great.  But like I said, you won't be the first person ever who's switched labs after a year.  Give it the old college try and if you really hate it, there's not much else you can do.  Just make sure you tell him you want to leave early enough that he has time to recruit a new student for the following year.

Are you in Chemistry program? I wished you were in math or stats, I would asked for help to cover the spot for you as I am looking for PhD program and for someone to fund me .

Do you think you can talk to him? Sometimes, talking can help both parties.

All the best

I agree with Gellert. But I would also recommend that you try talking to your adviser and letting him know that the project you are working on isn't really appealing to you. He may be able to have you work on something that appeals to you more.

Since he is funding you, it's better that you work for him for a semester or a year before you try leaving him. As someone above mentioned, it won't be a complete waste of resources for him since you would hopefully get some work done for his group. If, after a considerable time (like a year), you still feel disinterested, you should try to change advisers. It's not advisable to try to spend your entire PhD doing something you have little interest in.