Schedule Advice

CCD2016

I'm preparing to take a few classes over the next year why I work/volunteer for a few nonprofits (one of which I have had a lot of opportunities to do some project coordination, etc.) and I've been struggling with deciding a route for my last year of school. So my options for this upcoming semester is: 1.) Try and finish up a soc. minor by taking a Social Inequality class with a professor I've enjoyed having on a topic I love OR 2.) Take macro (I've already taken micro) and really blitz some econ theory classes in the spring. 

Is there any chances that really blitzing econ classes could actually make an effect on my application/funding opportunities?

Other relevant considerations: I've already been approved to take a methods of public policy analysis class in the spring (graduate course I've been waived to take). My other math classes include Calc 1 (B), Micro Econ (A), Intro to Empirical Political Analysis (A), Stats (B). I'm hoping to go into social policy analysis/advocacy type work. 

All of this is outside of all the work I'm doing for the GRE quant section.

Thanks in advance. 

In my mind there's no question, take the class you are actually interested in. It sounds like you have a basic experience with quant/Econ, and the class could improve both your SOP and (maybe?) get a recommendation from a professor. True passion for a subject seems much more important than simply checking off more quant classes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi CCD2016, I agree with nstets that you should take the classes you are actually interested in. Now that you have taken Calc 1 (B), Micro Econ (A), Intro to Empirical Political Analysis (A), and Stats (B), you've covered your bases for showing academic preparation for the graduate school classroom for top policy schools. Of course take the advanced economics courses if you're super pumped about them but don't take them just to impress the admissions committees.

I would put some of that fire of yours toward doing really well on the GRE.

Taking yet another course with a professor you really enjoy could actually work in your favor to deepen your relationship with that professor.

If for whatever reason you don't end up finishing the Sociology minor, all is well. You can simply list the relevant courses you took on your resume when you're applying for jobs that will want to see those types of classes.

I'm five years into my career as an admissions consultant and I would say (as of now) I do not find minors or double majors to be that impressive or overly helpful in graduate school applications. If anything, double majors and minors restrict the amount of flexibility you have in exploring other types of classes that might interest you but not count toward your major or minor. 

A high GPA (over 3.6) in one major coupled with a foundation of some Economics and quantitative coursework is better than a double major or major+minor and a low GPA.

Best of luck!

Kaneisha