Fellowships for International Students in Linguistics

beccamayworth

Hey guys, does anyone knows of good resources for looking into this? I know there are very few opportunities (or at least there seems to be...) for external funding for non-US citizens in the US, particularly in our field, and I'm having trouble finding any info on this. Suggestions? 

Thank you!

Fellowships for what purpose, exactly? 

There is no "resource" I know of other than asking other people. You can look at the CVs of rising stars in your subfield and see what grants they are getting. Also what conferences they go to and where they publish. That's generally not a bad thing to do once in a while, to stay current with the trends. Your more experienced professors should know what their students applied for (read: what they've written letters for) over the years, and senior students should have some idea what they can apply for or what the more senior students they remember from when they were junior did.

That said, there really isn't all that much out there that I know of. The NSF DDIG is the one important fellowship I can think of that non-citizen graduate students can apply for. There is small stuff like travel stipends that conferences sometimes make available to some competitive students (more in psycholing than in theoretical, in my experience), and your university may have some small internal grants you could compete for.* The landscape improves as a postdoc. There is still some stuff we can't apply for, but there is more that becomes available. 

*Don't discount the small grants; showing that you can get funding--any funding--goes a long way, and no less important is the fact that you are aware of the need to get external funding and are trying.