Tell me US doctorate degree possibility

Lee

Hello!

I am a Korean looking forward to study in the US. 

I am looking into applying for Statistics PhD programs, and I was hoping for some feedback/input.

My goal : statistics doctorate in US

Undergraduate:

I have two bachelors from different university in Korea : 

1st university(Korea rank 10 university) : major : mathematics education (3.68/4.5)

2nd university(Yonsei university : Korea) : major : mathematics (3.99/4.3 , graduated with 2nd ranking among the all the mathematics students in the department

Courses: 

I want to write the courses that I took in the 2nd university since this university is much more famous and 

GPA is more credible. 

Introduction to Differential geometry(A+), Differential geometry(A+),

Introduction to topology(A0),

Modern algebra 1(A0), Modern algebra 2(A+), Field theory(A+),

Vector calculus(A+), Analysis1 (A+), Analysis2 (A-), 

Linear algebra 1(A0), Linear algebra 2 (A-),

Category theory (A+), Game theory(A0)

Numerical Analysis(A+)

Differential Equation(B-) , Stochastic Process(B+)

Introduction to statistics(B+)

Master degree

drop out after 1 year of studying from KAIST(Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) with majoring in Financial engineering

After drop out from the KAIST , I entered in Yonsei university (applied statistics graduate school) : major : statistics (3.94/4.3)

Courses: 

Graduate mathematic : Real analysis(A0), Financial mathematics(A+), Numerical analysis(I will take coming semester)

Graduate statistics : Mathematical statistics1(A-), Nonparametrics1(A+), Credibility theory(A0), Linear model(A0), Statistical computing(A0),

Statistical learning theory(A+), Survival analysis(A-)

Etc : two courses in economic graduate school : econometric(A-), Asset pricing(B+)
       one course from English literature graduate school : English writing (I will take this coming semester)

GRE/TOEFL:

GRE  : General: Verbal 152, Quantitative 168, Writing 3.5

TOEFL : 91/120 

(more tests will be tried so that I can get slight more higher than this)

Research Experience: 

Thesis : I am currently working on a thesis on extreme value distribution (not published)

Lecture : Teaching Assistance in statistics : 1 years and half

I will TA this coming last semester in statistic in English lecture.

I have Korean national teacher license and I taught mathematic in high school for one months before join to army

Programming available

C++/C, Matlab, unix, R, SAS, Visual basic, etc

I served as a computational army when I was army for 2 years.

I am very easily familiar with the programming even if I am new to some program.

Numerical analysis is one of more core which I devoted to study.

Research Area Ambitions: Not sure. But hopefully, theoretical statistics, time series analysis, extreme value theory, copola theory. 

Letters of Recommendation: I can get three letters but I am not sure about the contents.

Goal graduate school(only full scholarship wanted) : all are statistics, not biostat

1. Wharton school : statistics

2. Wisconsin

3. Michigan

Edited by Lee

Your 91 TOEFL is a problem. Many schools require a minimum of 100.

Honestly, I think that the schools you listed are probably out of reach; places like Iowa State, Texas A&M, etc. might be a better bet for you.

Thank you for your advice, sir. 

In fact, just studying in the US is my dream. 

Even if I wrote three schools I mentioned above as a goal,

I was very happy to hear that I could even be a "consideration" for the schools like Texas A&M, Iowa, etc, even if there is low possibility to get admission from those good schools. ^^

And I am not that care about the highly ranked or lowly ranked graduate schools in the US since studying there is just a happiness. ^^

I am studying while only looking forward to achieve American Dream and happiness while studying what I love to do ^^

And I have just took one time test of TOEFL in my life, therefore I hope to have more higher point next time when I take again.

May I ask your opinion, sir ?

As a professor, how do you think about my mathematical background?

I tremendously put all of my effort into mathematics studying since I wanted to acquire the rooted background in mathematics 

so that I can apply this background to the statistics, which is my dream I want to achieve in the US. 

I know that my English is not a level that I can proud of, but would you think that my mathematical background would make 

a pay off or compensation to the lacking of the English proficiency?

I would like to know the other weakness or strength which would make your eyes glance one more time.

I will make my weakness be stronger and my strength be more emphasized in the given 3 months before applying, which is the fist and the last

opportunity in my life to achieve my dream and contribution. 

And one more question. 

May I ask which schools are belongs to the "etc" in the words in your sentence 

" the Iowa State, Texas A&M, etc.". 

Since I have no background in US university culture and ranking, please let me know 

some schools concretely which are more tangible to me. 

Best regard. 

Thank you very much

Edited by Lee