Classical Greek or Latin after Koine for NT?

Epaphroditus

As a current M.Div student interested in applying for NT programs, which is more important and would make me potentially more competitive - Latin or Classical Greek?

I've had 3 semesters of Koine Greek in seminary, where we only looked at biblical texts. I've taken additional Greek exegesis courses on top of that. I'm interested in using social-scientific methods to study the NT against the backdrop of the Greco-Roman world. I'm interested in applying for not only traditional NT programs, but also programs in Religions of the Ancient Mediterranean (i.e. UT-Austin).

I'm considering taking an intensive summer language course at a university like CUNY (http://www.gc.cuny.edu/Page-Elements/Academics-Research-Centers-Initiatives/Centers-and-Institutes/Latin-Greek-Institute), where I could go through 4 semesters of either Latin or Classical Greek in one summer. I'm leaning towards Latin, even though I have no Classical Greek, because I figure I might be able to pick up Classical Greek on my own since I have a background in Koine. What do you think I should prioritize, given that my interests lie in the Greco-Roman backgrounds of the NT? For those who've been accepted into TT NT programs, did you have Latin before applying? What level of Latin proficiency is expected of NT PhD graduates at top programs?

If you consider your Greek to be quite good, then I'd suggest Latin, especially if you can provide a compelling reason for doing so (e.g. Text Crit, studying Apocrypha only preserved in Latin, etc.). 

If you consider your Greek to be quite good, then I'd suggest Latin, especially if you can provide a compelling reason for doing so (e.g. Text Crit, studying Apocrypha only preserved in Latin, etc.). 

Thanks, Kuriakos. I think my Greek is decent, though demonstrating that to an adcom might be more difficult without courses listed on a syllabus.

Just curious, in your experience, do most PhD admits have some Latin? If not, are they generally expected to learn it during their program, or only if it is relevant to their research?

I would say that the majority of incoming NT PhD students do not have Latin. I don't know of any programs that require it for incoming students. I do think it looks good, though, especially if you are applying somewhere that isn't as canonically focused like UT or UNC-CH. I had a little Latin before my program and just took some more classes in it this summer, but so far I am the only person in NT at my school that I know of who has chosen to take Latin. There was one who graduated several years ago, but he was really a dual classics/NT guy. Others can share what sort of emphasis Latin gets in their programs. 

To share from my own school: at PTS a fair amount of Masters students who are serious about doing NT PhDs have Latin. However, I suspect this is do to the structure of the university's summer language courses, which allow you to do two courses in a Summer instead of just one, rather than something their advisors are telling them is necessary.

Do you have any modern languages? Perhaps German would be a better choice than Latin if you don't have it, as several TT PhD programs in NT require you to pass a German reading exam upon entry (in Aug. of your first semester). Also, many traditional programs also require at least two semesters of Hebrew for NT (Yale, for example, suggests 4 semesters for NT). If you're only choosing between Clas. Grk and Latin, I would go Latin, as it would show more diversity.

I'm applying this to NT PhD programs this year. I've talked to folks at Notre Dame, Emory, Duke, and Baylor, and all have really heavily emphasized languages. They have all told me that the ability to read most any primary text in the original language(s) is a massive strength for an applicant. This was especially the message at Notre Dame, which emphasizes languages more than any other program on my list. 

I understand that most PhD NT students don't have Latin, Syriac, etc., but it seems to me that the ability to read in any ancient language will only help you out. For places like Notre Dame and Duke, I get the impression that either Classical Greek or Latin would certainly be a boost. And if your Greek is decent, neither should be much of a problem to pick up if you're motivated.