Working and school

I am in a program whose faculty is very hostile, even militant towards students who have a job. Is this normal for a SLP program? I am disappointed in my program and wondering if another one might be a better fit, but if this is pretty typical, I might think again.

Edited by Pennsatucky

In my program there is an advisor whom I have heard (in person) tell a prospective student that they need to prepare to live like a Tibetan Monk, lol.  Sleep, eat, breathe and dream SLP apparently.  I'm a mom of two, I worked part time, volunteered at both of my boys' schools, babysat a friend's 4-month old four hours per week and enrolled in a CD course load that they highly discouraged plus an additional non-CD class (Physics) on top of that.  Honestly all programs want to see their students succeed - it makes them look better after all!!!  But if you are HIGHLY disciplined and work really hard, you can probably make it work.  You know yourself better than any of the professors do.  I would imagine many programs discourage working, not just mine and yours.

I am in a program whose faculty is very hostile, even militant towards students who have a job. Is this normal for a SLP program? I am disappointed in my program and wondering if another one might be a better fit, but if this is pretty typical, I might think again.

How many credits a semester is your program?? Because it may be different if you have a 9 credit full time program versus 15 or 16.... I've heard from the people I know in Graduate programs that it is very hard to balance both, but depending when your classes fall on your schedule, maybe weekends would be a possibility? But all I would know is around the Midwest region...