Question about Mentioning Controversy in Essay

pickfights

Hi all.

This is kind of a specific question. I am planning to apply to UC Berkeley for my MSW this fall. One of the essay's is an analytical question about a current problem relevant to social welfare and how you would fix it. I want to write about sexual assault on college campuses, because this is an issue close to my heart, one I spent a lot of time working on in college. If you are not aware, UC Berkeley has come under a lot of hot water regarding this specific issue. That's part of the reason I want to go to Berkeley - I want to be part of that fight. Should I mention this controversy in my essay, ie, this is a big problem across the country, one that has affected UC Berkeley among other schools?

Or more generally, if/when I reference the school directly, how should I do it? I want them to know I am familiar with Berkeley and want to attend their school and program specifically, but I don't want to...for lack of a better word 'insult' them. Feedback?

I wouldn't reference the school specifically. If you wanted to give an anecdote, maybe talk about your own university (if a) it's not Berkeley and b ) this issue has gained attention across your campus). 

I plan on starting that portion of my essays with an anecdote, but I'm talking about an issue that came up at my job (I have a social services position currently). IMO, distancing from the school you're applying is a safe bet 

But I do want to mention why I'm interested in UC Berkeley specifically and show that I am knowledgeable about the school and campus. But I will definitely mention my work as an undergrad. Any more tips/suggestions?

I am not in this field so maybe I am coming at this all wrong. But I have worked with similar topics at schools in the past and I think some of my thoughts about application materials might apply across many fields. Another resource to tap, if you haven't already, is to talk to your professors in your undergrad department to see what they think. After all, they likely also read admission essays and they can let you know how they would feel if an applicant wrote about their school!

With the caveats above, some of my thoughts are:

1. You say that your main goal is to communicate that you are knowledgeable about the school and the campus. If so, I think there are a lot more effective and less risky ways for you to demonstrate this than to tackle this issue in the analytical essay.

2. I mention that this is risky. In my opinion, I think choosing this topic does not have a very high chance of helping you, but it has a chance of hurting you. Because this is a controversial issue, there is a chance that someone making the admission decision might strongly disagree with you. If so, that could really hurt you. However, if there is someone making the decision that strongly agrees with you, I don't think it would help you very much. 

3. I also think this is risky because you are still an "outsider". I don't know your current affiliation or status with UC Berkeley, but if this is an issue that the school is currently working on, they might already have a plan in place and are working towards that. I think it would seem a little arrogant for someone external to just come in saying "this is how I would fix it!". It's one thing to write about this at some other university (e.g. your own, where you have experience, or some neutral third party) but it's another to write to the people who might already be involved in working on a plan and saying this is how you would do it instead. Similarly, when people apply for jobs, they don't criticize the company/organization they plan to work for and come in with all these ideas. Instead, people generally are expected to join the organization, take some time to take stock of what the situation is really like and then develop an action plan that works for that organization. 

Of course, #3 here doesn't apply if you are actually already fully familiar with Berkeley. In that case, I think this is a big strength and you would be very valuable to the department so you should demonstrate that. However, if you are not already part of the "solution" in place at Berkeley, I would think it is less risky for you to wait until you arrive and assess the situation from within before you tell the people who work there (and may already be working on the issue) how you think it should be done instead.

Also I guess it is clear that I'm giving you this advice from a risk-adverse perspective. I just think it is a high risk with little chance of a "gain". But each person's level of acceptable risk is different, so I hope my thoughts here help you determine how much risk might exist in choosing this topic and whether or not it is worth it to you! :)

Well I would be writing about how to solve this issues on all college campuses in general. but you're right in saying it has a high chance of hurting me and even if it helps me, it won't help that much. I'll definitely stick with the topic but I dont think I'll mention UC Berkeley by name. Thanks! 

Surely there are reasons you'd like to attend Berkeley other than to "fight" its sexual assault problem? Conversely, sexual assault is (unfortunately) a problem at many schools--why not apply to those programs instead? Naming the school (which you've said you won't do) just seems like it could be somewhat limiting. It also sort of seems like you'd be doing them a favor by attending. "I can help combat your issue." Know what I mean? 

Would it be possible to highlight something about Cal's program specifically that would help you advocate for sexual assault victims anywhere or combat sexual violence? Maybe a focus on sexual assault awareness, young adult/urban populations, abuse intervention, etc.? I don't know anything about Cal's MSW so I can't really offer specific advise, but perhaps you could highlight the work you've done at your undergrad institution and say "XYZ at Cal would give me additional resources to create public awareness campaigns about sexual assault" or "I see that Professor So-and-So's research is focused on treating sexual assault victims. I'd like to apply those principles to college students specifically."

Good luck! Berkeley is an amazing place to live. :) 

I agree with the advice given above! Also, this is something that is likely already on your mind, but make sure you do research on resources available at the university. Universities of California have changed drastically and new programs are in the process of being implemented this fall semester. I don't know how much is available online so you might have to directly contact Student Affairs or a similar department. You wouldn't want to talk about change you want implemented on the campus when there's already specific changes underway.