Should I Take The Psych GRE?

kmeredithc

I am just wondering if any one has any advice on whether I should take the psych subject GRE (I am a psych major).

I have already taken the regular GRE and scored 154 quant, 155 verbal. The programs I am applying to do not require the psych GRE, so i'm wondering if its worth it to take it? If I score high, will it improve my application or counteract my less than thrilling regular GRE scores? I feel like I don't have a lot of time to prepare since I have a full course schedule this fall and am really busy (not to mention it's $150). If it's going to be a valuable aspect to my application, I will take it, but if not, should I not take it?

Thanks!

I would only take if your program strongly recommends it(my one MS program wants but not alot of my phd programs don't) otherwise I wouldn't take it. :) I have to take it and the general gre, my wallet is crying right now.

I didn't take it. I had 158 verbal and 153 quant. Some of my programs even recommended it, but none actually required it. I really, really did not want to take it for the same reasons as you. No time, no money, and already had a psych BA to prove I know the material. (Edit: this was last year's app cycle, and I got into three programs.)

Edited by VulpesZerda