[Immunology] I have a 2.5 GPA - I need safety schools

now_i_am_law

In short, I was a biology major who was terrible at math. I'm applying to Immunology/Cell Bio programs for fall 2016.

I have a 2.5 GPA from a state school, three years of undergraduate research experience (cell biology), and two years of research experience working at a top ranked institution (immunology). I am confident my letters of recommendation from my work experience are going to be very good; I did an oral presentation at an Immunology conference. I'm going to bite the bullet and apply to some schools that are ranked pretty high for my GPA, but I obviously need some safety schools; there are loads of lists of the top programs. but less info about those towards the bottom - any recommendations?

This is my current list of schools I plan to apply to; I'm realizing it's probably too ambitious as I read more about the applicants I'll be competing against.

NYU, Mt Sinai, Rockefeller, Albert Einstein (of Yeshiva U), Rush, U of Chicago, Northwestern, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, OHSU

Edited by basophilwhisperer

Most programmes have a minimum requirement of a 3.0 GPA. You might want to look at other posts on this forum from people who have successfully applied to grad programmes with a lower GPA. The schools you've listed (from what I can gather) will not even bother to look at you currently, mainly due to your GPA. Sorry if this comes across as harsh, I think you need to be a lot more realistic about your chances.

I've e-mailed a few admissions faculty (U Penn and OHSU) they say it's not impossible, but a petition would be required. 

What schools that would be more realistic? This is my main question.

Edited by basophilwhisperer

If you have a strong application outside of your undergrad GPA (research experience, publications, presentation, GRE) it might be worth waiting awhile to take some graduate level courses before applying. I don't know your personal situation, but it's worth remembering that a PhD is a 5 year program (or so we're told lol) and the career path is highly competitive. You may not want to settle for a tier 3 program when you could wait a bit and get into a school like U of Chicago.

On the other hand, if you don't have a stellar GRE, a good reason that your UGPA was low, and a plan to make sure your grad GPA is much higher, you might not want to waste your time and money delaying a PhD application.