Importance of GRE Score.

karang820

I recently gave GRE exam and scored 320. I want to know how much important the GRE score is valid in MS application.

Does it matter if I have a higher GRE score or just clearing a cutoff is sufficient? 

What about funding? Does GRE score matter if we want to apply for funding?

Hi karang820,

What were your Quant and Verbal Scores on your GRE? I ask because certain Programs place more of an emphasis on one section over the other (while others prefer a more 'balanced' pair of scores).

As far as your other questions are concerned, do you know which Schools/Programs you want to apply to? Once you can put together a list, you can research your options and get a better sense of how competitive your Scores are. You should also be able to find some additional information about Scholarship possibilities.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

Hi Rich

Thanks for the reply.

I got 163 in Quant and 157 in Verbal. I want to apply in civil engineering, so what do you think would be the relative importance of the sections. 

I am aiming for Berkeley / Stanford / UIUC / UT Austin. Their website generally says that they donot have a cut off requirement. Yet it has been noticed that generally average score of the students entering the institutes is around 325-330.

Regards

Karan 

Hye, those are exactly the scores I got for the GRE (5.5 in analytical writing)! :P And I got into Stanford's Masters program in mechanical engineering which is consistently ranked #1 (or 2). Would that give you some perspective as to how relatively important GRE's are compared to the rest of your application?

Hi karang820,

While an applicant's GRE score is an important part of the application, it's not the only part. Highly-competitive Programs are going to take a really good look at your entire application, so you have to have more going for you than just a high GRE score. Your scores are strong, so you should apply to any Programs that interest you. Since you asked, I would suspect that an Engineering Program would prefer a higher Quant score to a higher Verbal score, but that's a generalization.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich