Is a November 21 test date too late for December 1 deadlines?

kingslayer

Hi,

I have a GRE general exam date of November 21, and I want to apply to programs that have a December 1 application deadline. It won't get there in time (unless the quant/qual scores are sent automatically on the test date? i don't know). There are only 6 business days between the 21st and 1st.

Will this be ok, or should I also book an October test date as well for backup and hope that I get in a good percentile? I haven't really studied much, which is why my date is so late.

If anyone has any experience with Ball State and the Ohio State, would they still accept my application if everything else was in except for GRE scores?

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/scores/get/

Someone posted this not too long ago but I don't remember what forum it was in..  It pretty much says you need 10-15 days after taking the test for scores to arrive

Thank you!

I did know about the 10-15 days part, I should have revised by question to be more like "if my grades aren't in by Dec 1, am I screwed?" I think I'm going to have to call the colleges individually and see if it's fine

Yes, you should contact the colleges individually. In 2011, when I was applying, the subject GRE tests were offered in October and November. I wrote the test in November and I had application deadlines of Dec 1. However, the Subject test scores take a lot longer to process as they are scantron paper tests, so my scores were not going to be available until mid-December. I called all of the schools with deadlines between Dec 1 and Dec 15 and asked if it was okay if the score report came after the rest of the materials. Every school was fine with it because they said their committees don't even start meeting until January! 

I'm not saying that you should assume your schools will be okay with it, but that asking schools is a good idea because you never know what is strict and what is flexible until you ask.