Yale F&ES 2016Fall Anybody?

cloutma

Maybe we can share our background together? : )

Here's mine.

Major in Environmental Engineering in Top 5 university in China.

GPA: approximately 3.8

GRE: 330+, 3.0

Working Experience: Undergraduate, no full time working experience. 2 internships in consulting firms. 2 internships in world famous environmental NGOs. 

Research Experience: 1st-author paper on an SCI Journal, with an impact factor of 2.5.   2 year core member of a research team, making market analysis about environmental industries. 

Guess not totally qualified for this program, because there are so many excellent people competing for the few quota....

Am I competitive? 

And anybody can share your background and we can have a discussion! : )

It sounds like you have the quantitative stats to belong in a program like F&ES...however, don't ignore the qualitative: are your research interests in line with the program's output?  Is there a professor you want to work with? What do you intend on doing with the degree? How will that advance your career?

You don't say whether you want to pursue a Master's degree or a Ph.D....or what your research interests are. I'm not applying directly to F&ES, but I'm applying for History of Science (Ph.D.) and would like to take classes through F&ES that deal directly with my research (more historical/geographical, but could benefit from using GIS/remote sensing). If you're looking for a general comparison of applicants, my stats are pretty similar to yours:

Masters in Agriculture/ID from an Ivy (2015): 3.99

Masters in Religion (2008): 3.7

2 years research (A+ in all research classes), including one master's project on water sustainability and one project on sustainable development. 

1 publication/1 international graduate student conference.

1 poster presentation at student conference at Ivy.

Taught 5 undergraduate classes (English/Religion) as an adjunct at a LAC or 2 year college, TA'd three classes (1 in env. engineering, 2 in religion) at Ivy.

First year of doctoral level qualitative methods taken. 

3 years of Hebrew, 1 year of Arabic (related to my research interests).

I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I'm consistently scoring around 165 in verbal. I'm trying to get my quant. up to 160. I expect 5+ in AW.

I've worked for the past three years in technology/digital marketing, with a senior-level title. (I wanted to reassess the level of dedication I had to a doctoral program after spending 5 years doing graduate work.)

----

I'm applying quite broadly. Yale is just one of many excellent schools that I could benefit from attending...and I'm excited by the prospect of attending any of the schools I have chosen. I would encourage you to find other programs that you would love to attend and apply to those as well, without getting fixated on Ivy recognition. 

It sounds like you have the quantitative stats to belong in a program like F&ES...however, don't ignore the qualitative: are your research interests in line with the program's output?  Is there a professor you want to work with? What do you intend on doing with the degree? How will that advance your career?

You don't say whether you want to pursue a Master's degree or a Ph.D....or what your research interests are. I'm not applying directly to F&ES, but I'm applying for History of Science (Ph.D.) and would like to take classes through F&ES that deal directly with my research (more historical/geographical, but could benefit from using GIS/remote sensing). If you're looking for a general comparison of applicants, my stats are pretty similar to yours:

Masters in Agriculture/ID from an Ivy (2015): 3.99

Masters in Religion (2008): 3.7

2 years research (A+ in all research classes), including one master's project on water sustainability and one project on sustainable development. 

1 publication/1 international graduate student conference.

1 poster presentation at student conference at Ivy.

Taught 5 undergraduate classes (English/Religion) as an adjunct at a LAC or 2 year college, TA'd three classes (1 in env. engineering, 2 in religion) at Ivy.

First year of doctoral level qualitative methods taken. 

3 years of Hebrew, 1 year of Arabic (related to my research interests).

I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I'm consistently scoring around 165 in verbal. I'm trying to get my quant. up to 160. I expect 5+ in AW.

I've worked for the past three years in technology/digital marketing, with a senior-level title. (I wanted to reassess the level of dedication I had to a doctoral program after spending 5 years doing graduate work.)

----

I'm applying quite broadly. Yale is just one of many excellent schools that I could benefit from attending...and I'm excited by the prospect of attending any of the schools I have chosen. I would encourage you to find other programs that you would love to attend and apply to those as well, without getting fixated on Ivy recognition. 

Thx for replying!

I'm applying to MEM. I guess that matches my experience more than the MESc, for I didn't do lots of experiments like other engineering&science students. 

However comparing to all the excellent applicants in the world, my experience may not be that matched.... lots of worries...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm applying to the MESc program for Industrial Ecology

I go to a small private Liberal Arts college in the west coast and applying straight from undergrad

GPA: 3.8 (Have taken all of the "suggested" courses (ie. 2 biological sciences, 2 social science, etc.)

GRE: V159(81%)/Q166(92%)/W4.5(80%) (FES Average 160/155/4.5)

2 years of Spanish+ 1 semester study abroad in Spain

Research: 3 years as RA and 1 year independent research on C & N cycling in wetlands (no publications yet: expecting one in February but won't make it in time for the application) 

Other: 1 summer internship at a consulting firm in Tokyo

LOR: Very strong (1 Environmental Science Professor, 1 Environmental Econ Prof, and 1 Academic Advisor)

SOP: Will be strong- I have a clear vision of what I want to do with my life (although it is not really reflected in my resume)

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can comment on what chance I have of getting in, what I could focus on improving (ie. GRE score, getting an internship to strengthen my resume), etc.

I am also applying to Duke MEM & UMich SNRE and would appreciate any comments on what chances I have on getting accepted to those programs as well.

Also, I am an Asian American and I was wondering if that would make a difference in my overall chances of getting accepted (positively or negatively)

Thank you, and I'm looking forward to struggling together with you all for the next 5 months!

Edited by hikarusymphony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm applying to the MESc program for Industrial Ecology

I go to a small private Liberal Arts college in the west coast and applying straight from undergrad

GPA: 3.8 (Have taken all of the "suggested" courses (ie. 2 biological sciences, 2 social science, etc.)

GRE: V159(81%)/Q166(92%)/W4.5(80%) (FES Average 160/155/4.5)

2 years of Spanish+ 1 semester study abroad in Spain

Research: 3 years as RA and 1 year independent research on C & N cycling in wetlands (no publications yet: expecting one in February but won't make it in time for the application) 

Other: 1 summer internship at a consulting firm in Tokyo

LOR: Very strong (1 Environmental Science Professor, 1 Environmental Econ Prof, and 1 Academic Advisor)

SOP: Will be strong- I have a clear vision of what I want to do with my life (although it is not really reflected in my resume)

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can comment on what chance I have of getting in, what I could focus on improving (ie. GRE score, getting an internship to strengthen my resume), etc.

I am also applying to Duke MEM & UMich SNRE and would appreciate any comments on what chances I have on getting accepted to those programs as well.

Also, I am an Asian American and I was wondering if that would make a difference in my overall chances of getting accepted (positively or negatively)

Thank you, and I'm looking forward to struggling together with you all for the next 5 months!

I am also applying now so I may not know what our possibility of admission now hahaha... because I'm struggling and confused a little...

But I think you've got a strong profile...! Keep on going!

I do not have strong LOR...That frustrates me..

Hi everyone! I'm joining in on this discussion, as the Yale MEM program is my number one pick for Fall 2016! There are so many strong applicants to Yale FES and this thread has just confirmed that. Great profiles, cloutma and hikarusymphony!

Does anyone know how heavily Yale FES weighs the pre-requisite courses during the application process? I have considerable coursework that could count toward a few of those requirements, but I'm a little weaker in biological sciences and math (doesn't help that since I took AP Statistics in high school I can't say I've technically taken "college stats"). I've got classes on my transcript that may work, but they are usually higher level classes that had a significant biological science or statistics component. I know that's confusing, but I was wondering if you get desk-rejected if you don't meet all of their suggested courses?

I was also wondering if Yale MEM does interviews? I read in the application that there is a quick video interview component (which will totally freak me out because I'm painfully awkward on video) but it seems like that may be it? I haven't heard much else about the process. 

I have a million more questions, but all of this is to say that I'm looking forward to getting the apps in, commiserating with you all throughout the waiting process, and hopefully having it pay off for all of us in the spring! Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone! I'm joining in on this discussion, as the Yale MEM program is my number one pick for Fall 2016! There are so many strong applicants to Yale FES and this thread has just confirmed that. Great profiles, cloutma and hikarusymphony!

Does anyone know how heavily Yale FES weighs the pre-requisite courses during the application process? I have considerable coursework that could count toward a few of those requirements, but I'm a little weaker in biological sciences and math (doesn't help that since I took AP Statistics in high school I can't say I've technically taken "college stats"). I've got classes on my transcript that may work, but they are usually higher level classes that had a significant biological science or statistics component. I know that's confusing, but I was wondering if you get desk-rejected if you don't meet all of their suggested courses?

I was also wondering if Yale MEM does interviews? I read in the application that there is a quick video interview component (which will totally freak me out because I'm painfully awkward on video) but it seems like that may be it? I haven't heard much else about the process. 

I have a million more questions, but all of this is to say that I'm looking forward to getting the apps in, commiserating with you all throughout the waiting process, and hopefully having it pay off for all of us in the spring! Good luck everyone!

I guess the video interview will just test how you express yourself and your response? just behavior test or oral english test?

I've got plenty of science courses taken, however the social science part seem weaker.... no much economic or political courses, but quantities of communication courses.... I am not sure whether they match with the requirement

I guess the video interview will just test how you express yourself and your response? just behavior test or oral english test?

I've got plenty of science courses taken, however the social science part seem weaker.... no much economic or political courses, but quantities of communication courses.... I am not sure whether they match with the requirement

That's a good point about the video interviews. They probably just want to make sure you can present yourself appropriately and aren't totally crazy! Still, I can't help but think I will be more nervous during that than I would be during a regular face-to-face interview...

I'm on the total opposite end of the spectrum on the prerequisites. I've got a million social science/qualitative methods courses, but I'm scraping the bottom for biology and math. Hoping I have a respectable enough background to prove I can be successful in the MEM program, and also praying two years of work experience will provide a slight boost to the application. 

So far I have been pretty pleased with the application process. The toughest part for me has been getting that darned SOP under 600 words!

That's a good point about the video interviews. They probably just want to make sure you can present yourself appropriately and aren't totally crazy! Still, I can't help but think I will be more nervous during that than I would be during a regular face-to-face interview...

I'm on the total opposite end of the spectrum on the prerequisites. I've got a million social science/qualitative methods courses, but I'm scraping the bottom for biology and math. Hoping I have a respectable enough background to prove I can be successful in the MEM program, and also praying two years of work experience will provide a slight boost to the application. 

So far I have been pretty pleased with the application process. The toughest part for me has been getting that darned SOP under 600 words!

Yep!!!! 600 word-limit is killing me!!!!!!

I am still worrying about my recommendation letter. Most native students seem to have strong recommenders..but it's truly hard for me....

I believe that the recommendation from professors in our university will not play any important role in my application....

Recommendations are tough. I met with two of mine last night to "officially" request letters and meeting with my third tonight. They are really great mentors and I'm lucky to have them. I never know how much it matters if the letter-writers are in academia or not. One is a professor, one is a former professor who I worked with on research and had for two classes but is no longer a professor (left for a very prestigious job in state government), and the third is also in government and very respected plus a former boss and research mentor of mine. I've heard some say most, if not all, letter-writers should be academics, but I'm hoping for a professional-type degree program like the MEM this won't be as significant?

I believe that the recommendation from professors in our university will not play any important role in my application....

I wouldn't fret too much over the letters of recommendation. I could be totally wrong about this, but I don't think it is as critical that your letter-writers be well-known in the field or by the university to which you are applying (though it might not hurt). It is more important that they can speak to your character and potential for success. If your letter-writers say great things about you, that says more about how you work with faculty and experts than if you happen to "know the right people." Additionally, it sounds like you were a very diligent and ambitious student at a top school; your professors likely picked up on that quickly and you may have more luck with recommendations than you expect, even if you don't feel as though you've fully cultivated the relationships. I'm always pleasantly surprised to hear that I've left good impressions with professors simply by performing well in their class, expressing interest in the subject matter, and attending office hours. 

All of that said, it is definitely stressful, and downright uncomfortable asking busy professionals to take time to write letters. I'm not a fan. :( 

On 2015/10/28 下午11:28:10, runjackrun said:

Recommendations are tough. I met with two of mine last night to "officially" request letters and meeting with my third tonight. They are really great mentors and I'm lucky to have them. I never know how much it matters if the letter-writers are in academia or not. One is a professor, one is a former professor who I worked with on research and had for two classes but is no longer a professor (left for a very prestigious job in state government), and the third is also in government and very respected plus a former boss and research mentor of mine. I've heard some say most, if not all, letter-writers should be academics, but I'm hoping for a professional-type degree program like the MEM this won't be as significant?

I wouldn't fret too much over the letters of recommendation. I could be totally wrong about this, but I don't think it is as critical that your letter-writers be well-known in the field or by the university to which you are applying (though it might not hurt). It is more important that they can speak to your character and potential for success. If your letter-writers say great things about you, that says more about how you work with faculty and experts than if you happen to "know the right people." Additionally, it sounds like you were a very diligent and ambitious student at a top school; your professors likely picked up on that quickly and you may have more luck with recommendations than you expect, even if you don't feel as though you've fully cultivated the relationships. I'm always pleasantly surprised to hear that I've left good impressions with professors simply by performing well in their class, expressing interest in the subject matter, and attending office hours. 

All of that said, it is definitely stressful, and downright uncomfortable asking busy professionals to take time to write letters. I'm not a fan. :( 

Yeah! Your response is really inspiring! I am pretty sure that I can get a strong recommendation cuz I've worked really hard with my recommenders. I am truly obsessed with this MEM program. Yale just provides all the best and all the most attractive. So I am much too stressful every day...

The video bit is totally unnerving considering its complementary nature in addition to the application. Don't know if I stand much of a chance but still will post my background. Applying for MEsc in Climate Change, Adaptation and Mitigation

Undergrad Institution: Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad (slated to be converted to an IIT)
Major(s): Environmental Engineering
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 8.36/10 (roughly 3.5-3.6 on the US scale)
Overall GPA: 8.36/10
Position in Class: Top 10 out of 60
Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170
V:  162
W: 5.0

TOEFL Total: 118/120

Research Experience: Two months under a renowned professor in crop science at the University of Aberdeen and an undergraduate research project (unrelated to each other)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: None

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: None
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Top quizzer? Debater? Blogger?

Really love the university and the program but it is a bit heartbreaking to know that they are so selective and I won't probably get through. Sort of banking on my diversity (not many apply from India) which is the case for most of the programs I have applied to in other universities.

On 2015/11/7 上午4:13:56, Savingtehplanet said:

The video bit is totally unnerving considering its complementary nature in addition to the application. Don't know if I stand much of a chance but still will post my background. Applying for MEsc in Climate Change, Adaptation and Mitigation

Undergrad Institution: Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad (slated to be converted to an IIT)
Major(s): Environmental Engineering
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 8.36/10 (roughly 3.5-3.6 on the US scale)
Overall GPA: 8.36/10
Position in Class: Top 10 out of 60
Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170
V:  162
W: 5.0

TOEFL Total: 118/120

Research Experience: Two months under a renowned professor in crop science at the University of Aberdeen and an undergraduate research project (unrelated to each other)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: None

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: None
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Top quizzer? Debater? Blogger?

Really love the university and the program but it is a bit heartbreaking to know that they are so selective and I won't probably get through. Sort of banking on my diversity (not many apply from India) which is the case for most of the programs I have applied to in other universities.

Thanks for sharing!

Really strong background!!! Top scores! Well done!

Savingtehplanet: I concur, strong profile! I would love to have your GRE scores (actually, everybody who has posted their's on here has fantastic scores). I'm happy with mine and they are well within the range for FES, but I feel like having really top scores would be a nice bonus for my application. Alas, I'm not willing to shell out another $185 to re-take the test. Good luck to both of you!

3 hours ago, runjackrun said:

Savingtehplanet: I concur, strong profile! I would love to have your GRE scores (actually, everybody who has posted their's on here has fantastic scores). I'm happy with mine and they are well within the range for FES, but I feel like having really top scores would be a nice bonus for my application. Alas, I'm not willing to shell out another $185 to re-take the test. Good luck to both of you!

Do you guys have any inspirations or valuable experiences on writing PS? I 've finished mine, but I do not know whether mine fits enough. 

I feel stressed out on my PS!! It does not have any rigid standards or criteria...That's what it makes me crazy!!!

I guess everybody has similar scores, and PS will be very important for AdComm to select those top ones...

Cloutma - Your guess is as good as mine on the personal statement. Mine is also written, but I also have questions and doubts. My biggest struggle has been deciding whether to talk more about my goals and aspirations vs. my experiences and past. It seems like they want the former, but it's really hard to talk about your future plans without talking about your accomplishments so far--and even tougher to cram it all into 600 words! 

I came across this awhile ago and, given that it is exactly 600 words, I am rather convinced it is a personal statement (though I shouldn't assume it is). Might help to see a sample that was successful though? I wouldn't give it too much weight (don't know all the details), but it's something to generate ideas: http://www.dougdagan.com/index/Why_FES.html

11 hours ago, runjackrun said:

Cloutma - Your guess is as good as mine on the personal statement. Mine is also written, but I also have questions and doubts. My biggest struggle has been deciding whether to talk more about my goals and aspirations vs. my experiences and past. It seems like they want the former, but it's really hard to talk about your future plans without talking about your accomplishments so far--and even tougher to cram it all into 600 words! 

I came across this awhile ago and, given that it is exactly 600 words, I am rather convinced it is a personal statement (though I shouldn't assume it is). Might help to see a sample that was successful though? I wouldn't give it too much weight (don't know all the details), but it's something to generate ideas: http://www.dougdagan.com/index/Why_FES.html

WoW!That's great resources, since it maybe harder for international students to find these! Thanks!

I have got the same doubt as you. As a college senior, it's even difficult for me to talk plans more than experiences. I think we have to merge them in order to show the most convincing sides of us.

I am also worrying about HOW to make my PS "Interesting" enough. People are always saying that AdComms will be reading thousands of articles and if you cannot get noticed with your PS, you will not be remembered among all these excellent applicants. 

But HOW???  I guess most of us have been attending college, doing our jobs, enjoying daily life, etc...Most of people haven't done anything like saving the world.....So how to make myself remembered...How to show a multi-dimensional and vivid image of ourselves in our writings.. That's too difficult!!

On 2015/11/25 下午6:31:09, Savingtehplanet said:

Does anybody have a clue as to what they ask in the online interviews?

Will it be video interview(like TOEFL speaking section)?

So I guess the questions will be limited or in a big pool? 

It is a video interview as I went through the preliminary microphone testing and all that jazz. I am guessing there will be general questions just to gauge one's verbal ability and the ability to communicate, in the context of FES. I hope the experience is better than the TOEFL speaking section!