GMAT Exam in 11 Days

hnainani

Dear All,

I am a newbie to thegradcafe but I hope you all will help. I had to take the dates for my GMAT exam but due to some work I got late, now I was planning to take the exam on the 23rd because I am traveling extensively due to work from the 24th but because of the delay in taking dates, I now only have an option to take a date three dates in prior in another city to be able to start travelling. 

My main dilemma is taking the exam in another city. I have never taken any exams outside my city before and I am not sure what impact can a different city have on my mind while taking the exam or how comfortable will I be, or does it matter at all. Can you all please suggest, how difficult or easy it is to take a competitive exam outside of your own city?

Hi hnainani,

When taking a Test (such as the GMAT and GRE) in a 'new' location, the bigger issue is how that new location will disrupt YOUR 'routine.' By taking the GMAT in a city that you have traveled a significant distance to get to, I have to assume that you'll either spend the prior night in a hotel or have to spend a large amount of travel time to get to the location. In either case, 'fatigue' could be a big factor in how you perform on Test Day. If you're sleeping in a strange bed and functioning outside of your normal, daily routine, your mentality could be affected as well.

The GMAT is a remarkably predictable and standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a high level (the keyword there is 'train'), but you can't really train to take the Test in a strange city under 'new' conditions. This is all meant to say that, all things being equal, you would likely benefit by taking the GMAT at your 'home' Testing Center.

What is your score goal?

How long have you been studying?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

My score goal is 720 and thanks for the help, I have picked my home location.

One more help required, although my score goal is high, my mocks are not going too well, the feeling is depressing. Can you also suggest, how long before the exam date should one stop taking mocks?

Hi hnainani,

If you're not scoring close to your goals, then you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date so that you can continue to study and improve. 

1) How have you been scoring on your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

2) What is your Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,

Rich