Humour in Research Proposal

Ziz

As I was drafting my research proposal (applying in the UK where we don't do SOPs), I realized that exactly what I was trying to say at one point was basically a line from Spiderman - namely "With great power comes great responsibility." Would it be inappropriate to inject a line of humour into my proposal and reference it?

Others may differ with my opinion but I would worry more about the line sounding like a cliche as opposed to humorous. Keep in mind that you're trying to represent yourself as a professional-level student and that humor is a relative term. What you may find funny may not be to someone else and could backfire on you. I'd air on the side of caution.

Good luck!

I suppose if you're applying for an MFA or something or that nature it would be fine, even appropriate. But unless you're extremely confident in you creative writing ability and familiar with your audience, I'd agree with the above poster and err on the side of caution. Admittedly I know nothing about the Research Proposal structure as compared to the SOP, but even effectively used, humor can be misinterpreted as cheeky or even gratuitous in the wrong company.

Yeah. Given how academic writing tends to be profoundly dull in tone, I'd keep it serious. Earnest and eager, but serious. As both a future academic and an aspiring novelist, I know what a drag it is to have to keep the levity out of it, but that's how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have quite a few sarcastic/tongue in cheek comments in my statement of purpose. I'm sure I'll edit them out at the last minute before I submit my applications, but I want to include them! I am afraid to let one of my professors read my draft, because I'm sure they would consider me a crazy fool for including such unnecessary comments. I am trying to tailor them a bit so they just make me sound really enthusiastic about my subject, instead of really immature and unfocused on serious matters.

As I was drafting my research proposal (applying in the UK where we don't do SOPs), I realized that exactly what I was trying to say at one point was basically a line from Spiderman - namely "With great power comes great responsibility." Would it be inappropriate to inject a line of humour into my proposal and reference it?

A caveat: I barely know what I'm talking about. I haven't applied yet.

That being said, my gut reaction to the above is: No, no, no no no. No no no. Don't.

I would find a clever way to insert it. something like "Ever since I've been a young child I found myself following the old Spiderman cliche that with great power comes great responsibility. Although I have since grown tired of cliches, that essence remains intact. " What do you think?

I certainly don't think you'll gain anything from it, and you may very well hurt yourself with it. But in fact, I don't necessarily think the adcomms will find it humorous; they may just consider it a poorly-suited quote for a professional statement. If you think it's important to convey the essence of the quote, perhaps express it through either your own words or examples.

I certainly don't think you'll gain anything from it, and you may very well hurt yourself with it. But in fact, I don't necessarily think the adcomms will find it humorous; they may just consider it a poorly-suited quote for a professional statement. If you think it's important to convey the essence of the quote, perhaps express it through either your own words or examples.

Yup. This.

Yup. This.

I don't know. I'm basing my advice on scientific publications i've read. they all start with a funny/interesting 1st paragraph.

If you consider humor to be a big part of your personality, use it. If you shut this part down and try to be what you think they want you to be - you are either bound to be called on your fakeness or (worst) et accpeted and bound to live up to your fake standards.

It's not just in applications. the job market works the same way. if you're a person who likes to throw a good joke in but you act all serious in your job interview, once you start working and do put in the daily joke people will feel they have been cheated into hiring you.

If you use any humor (and this should be a very big if), it should be extremely subtle and under the radar. Unless you're applying to do a masters in clown college, jokes are inappropriate. Yes, professors read tons of statements of purpose - yes, they are often formulaic - yes, it seems like a good idea to spice yours up so you stand out.

But, the quote you've got in mind isn't funny - the "joke" of it comes from a grown person quoting a Spiderman movie, which isn't funny and makes a joke out of you - not a light in which you want potential professors and colleagues to see you.

Also:

I would find a clever way to insert it. something like "Ever since I've been a young child I found myself following the old Spiderman cliche that with great power comes great responsibility. Although I have since grown tired of cliches, that essence remains intact. " What do you think?

This makes no sense. 1) Do you know any children who are not young? 2) Using "ever since" implies that what is being discussed is still occuring (and lets hope children aren't applying to graduate school). 3) It doesn't make sense to use a cliche and then say you've grown tired of them. 4) "The essence remains intact" doesn't make any sense.

I only point these out in case you're using this line or a line like it in your own SoP.

I don't know. I'm basing my advice on scientific publications i've read. they all start with a funny/interesting 1st paragraph.

If you consider humor to be a big part of your personality, use it. If you shut this part down and try to be what you think they want you to be - you are either bound to be called on your fakeness or (worst) et accpeted and bound to live up to your fake standards.

It's not just in applications. the job market works the same way. if you're a person who likes to throw a good joke in but you act all serious in your job interview, once you start working and do put in the daily joke people will feel they have been cheated into hiring you.

Who in their right mind would be mad that someone tells a joke if they had previously been serious in their job interview? "Whoa, pal - we hired a serious person. Now, cut out being personable or we're gonna fire you."

You're supposed to be serious during your job interviews unless you're interviewing to take over Bozo the Clown's TV show.

Who in their right mind would be mad that someone tells a joke if they had previously been serious in their job interview? "Whoa, pal - we hired a serious person. Now, cut out being personable or we're gonna fire you."

You're supposed to be serious during your job interviews unless you're interviewing to take over Bozo the Clown's TV show.

Again: yup. This.

I would say more, but there's no point. LateAntique pretty much said exactly what came to my mind. Except one thing: you can also use humor during job interviews if you're interviewing for a spot on The Daily Show.