Writing sample from different field

saturness

I'm applying to programs in Art History this season with my undergraduate majors being Art History/Visual Culture and Anthropology. Most of the programs ask for 20-30 page writing samples and many of them say that it's acceptable to submit two smaller length papers to reach this. The strongest example of my research skills is a paper I wrote for Anthropology. However, it still relates to what I want to focus on in grad school (it was written for a feminist anthro course and my intended research will deal heavily with feminist theory). It is about 17 pages, including citations, and I was planning on submitting it with an 11-page art historical paper that is also research driven and contains a good amount of visual analysis.

These samples demonstrate the best of my abilities, but I'm still a bit wary about most of it being in another field. My SOP stresses my interest in cross-disciplinary research and the programs I'm applying to value that, so maybe it will be alright?

• 1 month later...

I would contact the programs individually and ask their policies. It should theoretically be fine as long as they are open to papers from other disciplines, but it may be harder for programs to get a sense of your art historical style and writing. If you have time, you could also consider expanding the AH paper into a longer sample. I think the main thing is to submit a sample/samples that are your best work and that have a lot of research behind them. 

I would submit your best work, which sounds like the two papers. When I applied to MA programs, my writing sample was from a different social science than the field I was applying for and no one had any issues with it since it showed my ability to work with primary sources and do an in-depth analysis.