SOP Editing/ proofreading

a fragrant plant

Yes, I think it's a good idea to have a native speaker go over your text and make sure there are no glaring grammatical or styling errors. However, no proofreading service can/should comment on content, so make sure you have a *finished* version you feel strongly about before you spend your money. Ideally a friend or professor could do it for you for free, or you could try posting on livejournal's applyingtograd where they also give great advice.

Yes, I think it's a good idea to have a native speaker go over your text and make sure there are no glaring grammatical or styling errors. However, no proofreading service can/should comment on content, so make sure you have a *finished* version you feel strongly about before you spend your money. Ideally a friend or professor could do it for you for free, or you could try posting on livejournal's applyingtograd where they also give great advice.

excellent advice! thanks!

Be extra careful about choosing proofreading services, especially if you currently reside in a country where English is not a native language. Just because they advertise themselves as being professionals doesn't mean that they are, even if their knowledge level is above yours. I known people who got burned like this.

Be extra careful about choosing proofreading services, especially if you currently reside in a country where English is not a native language. Just because they advertise themselves as being professionals doesn't mean that they are, even if their knowledge level is above yours. I known people who got burned like this.

Thanks! But I'm residing in the UK. Are there any internet proofreading services that are proved helpful?

I would be wary of internet proofreading services. There are a lot of scams out there and you don't want copies of your SOP floating around. Worst case scenario is a scam company gets it and sells it to someone else applying to the same programs you are.

I'd try to get a friend or an academic advisor (some schools even offer writing workshops and proofreading services) as fuzzylogician mentioned. Friends also generally accept forms of payment that companies don't. cookies and milk come to mind.

I asked for help from a bunch of friends. I went through about 6 revisions and about 4 - 6 people looked over my essay at each stage. On my 5th revision, I sent it to my Professors for some input and they said that it was very well written.

Like what other people have mentioned, be careful about those editing services. There was a thread posted maybe just a few weeks ago asking for someone to proofread their SOP. They had some success, perhaps you will too.

I asked for help from a bunch of friends. I went through about 6 revisions and about 4 - 6 people looked over my essay at each stage. On my 5th revision, I sent it to my Professors for some input and they said that it was very well written.

Like what other people have mentioned, be careful about those editing services. There was a thread posted maybe just a few weeks ago asking for someone to proofread their SOP. They had some success, perhaps you will too.

thanks so much for all of your great advice! when i emailed professors at the universities i'm applying to. one of the professor offered to read my SOP. the professor said: "I hope you will apply. If you need me to look at your personal statement later and get feedbacks, let me know." do you think i should send my draft SOP to this professor, as she suggested?

thanks so much for all of your great advice! when i emailed professors at the universities i'm applying to. one of the professor offered to read my SOP. the professor said: "I hope you will apply. If you need me to look at your personal statement later and get feedbacks, let me know." do you think i should send my draft SOP to this professor, as she suggested?

Hey, that is great news! I definitely think you should send it to her, but only when you are very close to considering it a final draft. You don't want this woman seeing those messy first drafts. :)

Wow, that is totally great news. I don't think you should send your first draft SOP. I recommend you go through at least 3 major revisions before you send it to that Professor. Good luck!!!