Schools that Offer Funding/ Less Expensive Schools

heb5087

Hey Everyone!

I graduated this past May, and although I applied for Fall 2015 programs, I decided to put off graduate school to save some money and be able to pay for it.

Does anyone have any insight into programs that have been known to give out any funding? Or any programs that are less expensive in general? Preferably in the Northeast. Thank you!

A little off topic but are the schools you listed below the ones you got accepted to? I so do you mind if I PM you for some advice? I'm applying to most of the same ones you did.

Hey Everyone!

I graduated this past May, and although I applied for Fall 2015 programs, I decided to put off graduate school to save some money and be able to pay for it.

Does anyone have any insight into programs that have been known to give out any funding? Or any programs that are less expensive in general? Preferably in the Northeast. Thank you!

I have some ideas about programs in the NYC and long island area. Some programs (Adelphi, Hofstra, Lehman) allow for part-time options so you may work. Adelphi also has a Saturday program so you can work during the week. The CUNYs have the cheapest options in general (about 5,000 a semester full time) even though you are in the city. Plus they offer scholarships and work study options. Only thing is, the competition for acceptance into a CUNY program is RIDICULOUS. 

Federal aid and assistantships are more available in private insitutions, but it barely covers your tuition. 

If you have questions regarding the CUNYs feel free to ask me. :)

I would look at your desired schools or use the ASHA school finder  to find the names of schools in the area that you would like to attend. Many school will  say if they provide scholarships and/or assistantships upon admission. Some schools will state that they may waive  out-of-state tuition fees as an incentive for some students. Other in-state students may get funding from going to an in-state school that provide state-supported funding.  Don't discount private schools as they may be  able to offer a significant financial aid package that would make the cost comparable to a state school.  Also check out the grad café's admissions page where students list the stats of the schools they get into. Many students when getting in will also note if they received funding.  Lastly, check if the schools have additional scholarships within the school ( minority, returning parents, community service)  that may require a short additional application.  Sometimes you don't think you'll get funding for school but you'll be surprised (so don't discount any that state they may give aid).

Edited by Yancey