Should I Take a Break Before Grad School? (MSOT)

Hopeful One

Hello everyone!

So I hear pros and cons about this particular topic. I am in my last term of undergrad (will be finishing up in mid-December) and I am debating on whether or not I should take before applying to graduate school. Some teachers and friends say that a break is good because you're burnt out at the end of 4 years of college (and yes I am definitely burnt out to an extent)! While others say to just go for it. I'm the kind of person to not let a break deter me from my goals, but a break that's about 2 years, is a long time.

Here's my issue: I want to get into an MSOT/MOT (Master's of Occupational Therapy), which requires the usual 3 letters of rec, GRE, personal statement, and x number of hours (usually 20-40 in at least 2 settings) relating to job shadowing/volunteer work, etc. My intended program starts annually every Fall (or Spring, depending on the school) and if I apply and get accepted this time around, I get to take about a 9 month break off from school before moving into the program in Fall 2016. However, if I do not get accepted, I get an even longer break, and go into the Fall 2017 program.

I have a 3.54 GPA, have 80+ hours of volunteering with people who have disabilities, and I'm going to get around 60 hours of job shadowing with a registered OT this fall. My GRE score wasn't that great but I have all the prerequisites for OT school. Should I apply this time around (meaning this fall) or not apply, and apply next fall? I have a job waiting for me after I graduate as well, that also involves people with mental and physical disabilities. If I have the time off, I can use that to prepare for the GRE, get more shadowing hours in OT, and also just gain more experience. But, I really want to move forward with my academic goals. I guess I just want some opinions on breaks, and if anyone is applying to OT school, to give me their insight as well.

All your answers are appreciated! Thanks!

I think there is a lot to be said for taking a break from studying and getting a "real job." It can give you some perspective that some people tend to lack if they've never really done much outside of school. Whether it's right for you is a personal decision that no one can make for you. Obviously, there is no single correct answer here.

For what it's worth, taking a year or two off to do other things and solidify your career plans is not going to hurt your chances of getting admitted. If you stay in touch with your field and use the time to get more relevant experience, all the better. I would suggest talking to your professors before you leave about your graduate school plans, and ask them if they would be willing to write you letters of recommendation. If they do, explain that you might not be applying immediately, but you'll keep them updated about what you're doing in the meanwhile and when you decide to go back. That way, they can save whatever information they have on you for when it's relevant (some might even write the letter now and just update it later, if necessary). This way, you'll be spared the dilemma some people have later on if they've lost touch with their professors and aren't sure who to ask for letters of recommendation. 

Fuzzylogician,

Thanks for the advice! Talking to professors about writing LOR's later is a good idea. I will definitely do that during my last term. I see this situation as a win-win. I could apply now, and if I get accepted, move next fall. Or I could not apply, and gain even more experience over the next year for the next application sequence. I am just unsure about life decisions and was wondering on what other people have done during their last term of undergrad.

• 1 month later...

Depending on the type of person you are, taking time off can be a really good thing. However, if you're the kind of person that doesn't need too much time to recharge, then you may not need the 2 years. In my case, I graduated from college and had to take an extra year of prerequisites and volunteering. So I graduated 2014, strengthened my application 2014-2015, applied now for 2016, and now I'm just playing the waiting game. In my case, I had to wait 2 years because my application just wasn't ready to turn in, but yours seems very strong! You have a lot of experience and a great GPA. And you'll have a lot of time in the next 9 months to get more experience. All you need is a good chunk of time (I took 8 weeks) to study for the GRE and you should be set. 

Of course this is just my personal opinion, because of the kind of person I am. After one year, I was ready to start grad school-even though I was still taking those prereq classes. But now I have to wait an additional year, and even though I got a job where I'll get great experience, I wish I could just start school already. (I think moving back home and not being around friends as much also can make time go by super slowly- other factors to consider if they apply in your case.)

Overall, it just depends on whether you need that long of a break or not and how confident you feel about your application when you turn it in. 

Personally I think taking time off is good for growth. Sometimes we may need the time to just kick back and check in with ourselves. How are we feeling? Are we ready to move on? For me moving onto grad school or work is terrifying. Some may opt to take time off to just take a break  mentally which is good for your mental health! I didn't choose to apply to medical school this year while all my classmates were. I felt that I just wan't ready or mature enough to take on those responsibilities. I wanted to take my time and re-evaluate myself, do some mental check-ins, get some more life experience first. Often times we focus so much on WHAT CAN I BE DOING and not HOW AM I DOING.

And grad school apps take time! So maybe having some time off to just travel, work, and focus on apps could also be good for you in the long run!

But if you feel like at the end of the ltitle break, you wouldn't want to go back to school.. even if you wanted to.. then by all means follow your instincts and continue onto grad school ! (:

Just my two cents!