Comics Studies -- Finding a Fit

kirbyhy

Hey all. I'm new to the community and am in the beginning stages of the PhD application process. Here's my quandary: I want to study comic books. I know it's supposedly an up-and-coming field, but I can count the number of accredited graduate programs devoted specially to comics on one hand (discounting international programs -- I'm American). So, I'm looking for schools where I can make my relatively niche research interests work. Talking to some colleagues at the school where I currently teach, I have figured that I want to couch my comics studies in a more traditionally accepted PhD program, something like American Studies, or even an interdisciplinary American Literature/Pop Culture hybrid. So far I know that the University of Oregon and the University of Georgia have had recent PhD students doing work in comics, and the University of Texas at Austin's program looks promising so far.

Reaching out to anyone listening -- any ideas? It's hard to look for potential programs when your area of study is on the periphery of academic acceptance.  And I kind of don't want to live in Florida. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest looking up your favourite scholars on Comic Books, (or if you don't know any yet, researching prominent scholars who work on comic books). Find where they are working, which departments, and applying to those. I am guessing that you will most likely find them within English departments or maybe a few comparative literature departments. Most English departments these days offer a course or two in Comic books (or at least the four universities I've been to have) so that is probably your best bet. English and Comparative Literature departments are also likely to give you good critical theory skills that have broad applications. Look especially at departments that do cultural studies as well (i.e. McGill University). They're usually prepared to do literary analysis on larger variety of mediums including film, comics, etc., and they're also more likely to be up to date and not exclusively devoted to classics and canonical works.

I think that American Studies and/or Pop Culture programs are going to be your best best. I would definitely look into Bowling Green's American Culture program, which is known for its contemporary pop culture stuff. There's also a Centre for Comics Studies at the University of Dundee in Scotland. I know there's journals that publish articles about comics; you should look into them and contact any scholars whose work seems interesting.

Rebecca Wanzo works at WashU and does a lot of work on comics. She works in the Women, Gender, and Sexuality department but that will allow you to choose a different home department and obtain a certificate in either Gender Studies or American Culture Studies.

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2015 at 1:43 PM, verycunning said:

I think that American Studies and/or Pop Culture programs are going to be your best best. I would definitely look into Bowling Green's American Culture program, which is known for its contemporary pop culture stuff. There's also a Centre for Comics Studies at the University of Dundee in Scotland. I know there's journals that publish articles about comics; you should look into them and contact any scholars whose work seems interesting.

Rebecca Wanzo works at WashU and does a lot of work on comics. She works in the Women, Gender, and Sexuality department but that will allow you to choose a different home department and obtain a certificate in either Gender Studies or American Culture Studies.

Bowling Green immediately came to mind when I read this question. They have a fantastically huge comic book collection in their popular culture library (https://www.bgsu.edu/library/pcl/about.html). It's supposedly the third largest comic book collection in the US.

I also have some quirky interests, and BGSU is one of the schools I'll be applying to.

I visited the campus about a month ago. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Omg. I can't believe I didn't see this post until now. This is my field too. I was rejected by many an English Lit program before realizing that (once one of my files had been forwarded to an American Studies program) I was applying to the right universities but the wrong departments. Dundee in Scotland has a comics study program as well as Portland State. I know Cal State Northridge has a lot of comics scholars. Columbia's American Studies program is also interested in that sort of work. UChicago is also a cool place. 

This is probably way too late to help you, but hopefully it might be helpful for people in the future.