switching to lit

Hi!

I graduated this year (BS Biology) and I intend to pursue lit ahead. Studied literature at O/A levels and even at university. Is it a good idea to apply abroad for Literature Masters and which funded programs can I look into?

• 2 years later...

It's a difficult proposition. The unfortunate truth is that, without a strong academic literary background, admit committees probably won't believe you have the skills needed to work in literary scholarship at the graduate level. Do you have a strong critical writing portfolio on hand? My BA is in English, and I was questioned rather heavily on my coursework in literature when I applied to graduate school.

Edited by abragdo
wanted to add more context

On 9/21/2015 at 2:20 PM, zaq said:

Hi!

I graduated this year (BS Biology) and I intend to pursue lit ahead. Studied literature at O/A levels and even at university. Is it a good idea to apply abroad for Literature Masters and which funded programs can I look into?

Hey Zaq,

If you have a significant number of credits in English/Literature classes, it might balance out your major - particularly if you're applying to Masters not PhD programs. I would get your former English professors to write about your ability to do critical work in their rec letters. If you have a strong a writing sample, GRE score, and SoP, I think it's totally possible (I'm not coming from a strictly critical background myself). 

You may have better luck checking under the Literature, Rhetoric and Comp section of GradCafe, if you're leaning more toward critical work rather than creative writing. I found this thread with some funded MAs, but I am sure there are more if you poke around.