Berkeley EMPA vs Columbia Global EMPA vs UPenn's EMPA

rheidzan

Hi all,

I'm considering Berkeley's 1year MPA, Columbia Global MPA and UPenn's EMPA for 2016 (I'm only considering online/hybrid programs due to work and family commitment).

A quick background on myself: I'm a civil engineer with 8 years of experience in design, project management, construction management and program management within infrastructure and utilities sector. I have an MBA from UCLA and have a bit of experience within private sector (corporate banking). 

I'm interested in MPA because there are some subjects that are not covered in MBA programs, mainly things related to public policy analysis. Which of the 3 would be the best fit for me? I mostly care about the reputation, and second the curriculum.

Thanks for your inputs... 

Hi Rheidzan,

If you're primarily interested in reputation and then curriculum second, I would rank your choices in this order: Columbia, Berkeley, UPenn.

If deadlines are coming up soon, I suggest you apply to all three programs (if you have the time, money and energy), and throughout the application process, see which one you like the most in terms of professors, fellow students, curriculum, and schedule. If you still have at least three months for your deadlines (which is the most likely case), then I suggest you do just a bit of research on each school and then narrow it down to your top two.

Best of luck!

Kaneisha

Thanks for your reply, Kaneisha!

My top 2 preferences are: UPEnn first and UC Berkeley second. They're both a lot more attractive to me since they're only 1 year each (SIPA's Global EMPA is 18 months long). 

How are UPenn's and Cal's reputation globally? My career goal is consulting within infrastructure sector in Southeast Asian countries (ASEAN), as I have close to a decade of urban development and infrastructure experience. In other words I need a top MPA because of the "brand", more so than because of the pursue of academics/skills itself.

Alternatively, I could take a bigger risk and try to go for MC/MPA at HKS, but I just can't justify it (got a wife and kid to support).

Thanks for you 2cents :)

Edited by rheidzan
Typo

• 7 years later...

Hi @rheidzan ! My profile and situation closely matches yours and I'm glad I stumbled on your post. My profile - 8 years in construction management, work for the local government and interested in an online MPA.

I'm curious to learn more on which option you pursued finally and how things turned out. Look forward to hearing more and possibly connecting! Thanks :)