CV for application

mxborder

I've been working on changing my resume into a more academic-style CV for grad school applications. I know these can vary widely between disciplines, so I've posted this in Art History specifically as opposed to in the general app forum. I'm applying to PhD programs after graduating with a BA and working for a few years doing museum work. 

I've looked up sample CVs, CVs for POIs, etc. but obviously many of the sections that make up the bulk of their CVs (publications, conferences, etc.) are not something I have a ton of. I've read it's not uncommon that a CV for an incoming grad student would read more like a hybrid between a resume and a CV, but I'm wondering what specifically the formatting of that looks like.

I think I'm doing OK with my headings--I have, in order, Education, Academic Achievements and Awards, Professional Experience, Research and Internships, Projects (this would include an upcoming presentation at a non-academic conference, curatorial projects, "extracurricular" art-related stuff I've done since graduating), potentially Publications (but I might incorporate this into "Projects" since these are art-related but not peer-reviewed academic journals--exhibition catalogue essays, art reviews for an online mag, etc. Opinions on this being its own section?), and Language. 

What I really want to know is what does it actually look like! I'd like to give some details about what I've done in my job experience, internships, research experience, etc. but I read bullet points in CVs are taboo. So should it just be 1-2 sentences, in full sentence format, about each? 

If anyone has any samples of CVs for someone applying to grad school, without yet having a ton of publications or scholarly CV items, I would really appreciate it! 

I think there is a decent format and example on the CAA website. I wouldn't sweat it that much. I think your effort is best spent in perfecting a writing sample and a statement of purpose.  I'd argue that those two elements along with your letters of recommendation are the most important aspects of your application. 

Yes, what theartman1193 said. But if you're hellbent on getting it to AH standards immediately, you can look at art historians' profiles on Academia.edu to get ideas. You don't need to be a member of the site to look at peoples' profiles.

And for what it's worth, here's the CAA standards and guidelines page: http://www.collegeart.org/guidelines/arthistcv.html

Edited by rococo_realism

Yes to the above. Most application forms ask you to list all the relevant information that you would also include on a CV (esp. previous educational experience, language abilities etc.) anyway. If your prior work experience was especially important for steering you toward Art History, or if you've held some kind of job that was really interesting and memorable, you can (and should!) mention these things in your statement of purpose. Admissions committees don't care about all the other part-time jobs you may have held, what word processing programs you use, etc. etc. In other words, don't sweat the CV; as a document it doesn't hold a candle to your statement of purpose. 

I second rococo_realism. Schools usually post a list of their graduate students online, and while it may seem creepy, you can just look up students in your intended field on Academia.edu and look at their CVs. My CV is a copy-paste job of my old advisor's (obviously missing a few categories..).