2016 Conferences

This is just a general thread to post about some of the conferences coming up next year. I'll be submitting for travel funding tomorrow, and am thinking of attending (and potentially presenting) at the Comparative Drama Conference in Baltimore (March 31-April 2).

Shakespeare Association of America hasn't posted the date and location for their 2016 conference yet, but last year it was in early April.

Kzoo will be May 12-15th next year.

I'd love to do the MLA Conference (Jan 7 - 10 in Austin), but I don't think I have anything I could present at that level at this point.

Any other significant conferences coming up worth mentioning?

I can call out some important 18th century conferences:

Neasecs (Northeastern American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies) is in Hartford, CT Oct. 8-10.

Aphra Behn Biannual Conference is in Seton Hall, NJ Nov. 5-6th

Asecs (American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies) is in Pittsburgh, PA Mar 29 - Apr 3rd.

NASSR (North American Society for the Study of Romanticism) is in Berkeley, CA Aug. 11-14th.

And the Northeast MLA is in Hartford, CT Mar 17-20

Emily Dickinson International Society is having its triennial international conference in Paris (!) next June.  There's a "critical institute" for grad students - hint, funding is available from EDIS: 

Graduate students and early career scholars are invited to apply to the “Dickinson Critical Institute” at the Emily Dickinson International Society (EDIS) Conference in Paris on June 23rd, 2016. Participants will present and discuss project descriptions (for articles, dissertations, or books) in small seminars led by established Dickinson scholars. Following these group meetings, participants will gather for a discussion of grant and award opportunities, publishing, and other professional development topics. Participation in the Institute does not preclude proposing a paper for panel presentation at the EDIS Conference, which will be held from June 24-26, 2016. (Paper proposals for the Conference should be submitted separately to the conference committee. See: http://www.emilydickinsoninternationalsociety.org/node/464).
If you are interested in applying to the Institute, please submit a 500-word description of your current project to Eliza Richards (ecr@email.unc.edu) and Alexandra Socarides (socaridesa@missouri.edu) by December 15, 2015. Abstracts should provide an overview that articulates the goals and stakes of the project, an outline, and an estimated schedule for completion.
 The EDIS will be offering travel funds to a limited number of participants. If you would like to apply for travel funds, please supply a document that provides the following information:
 - name, email, institution and position (if applicable)
- itemized approximate budget for travel to the Paris conference
- other sources of travel funding you will apply for 

Edited by greenmt

Ooooh conferences! I will be presenting at CCCC in Houston, and I'm waiting to hear back about my RSA (Rhetoric Society of America) proposal. I'm trying to wrangle some folks to submit a panel to Computers and Writing, which will be in a city with an actual airport next year, Rochester, NY. I only attended one conference this year (and presented remotely at two others) due to le baby, so next year will be a big shift! 

Ooooh conferences! I will be presenting at CCCC in Houston, and I'm waiting to hear back about my RSA (Rhetoric Society of America) proposal. I'm trying to wrangle some folks to submit a panel to Computers and Writing, which will be in a city with an actual airport next year, Rochester, NY. I only attended one conference this year (and presented remotely at two others) due to le baby, so next year will be a big shift! 

Talk to me about CW. I'm trying to put together something myself.

I'm also doing CCCC in Houston

Listing a few that still have open CFPs (or haven't sent them out yet)

CW is May 19-22nd in Rochester
SIGDOC is in DC/NOVA in September (which, grrrrr, would have loved it to be over the summer)
HASTAC is May 11-15th at Arizona State
SXSWEdu is March 7-10 in Austin (panels are closed, playgrounds are open)

and the WIDE-EMU unconference is next weekend at MSU.

Does anyone know if the Pacific Northwest Renaissance Society is defunct? They've always had an annual conference in the fall (mid October, usually), but this year they didn't put out a cfp. Their website has been dead since last year. Very strange.

Are you thinking about going to Crip Futurities at U of Michigan? I just saw that CFP go out last week, and it looks AWESOME!!

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have some questions about conferences.

It looks like I have virtually no chance of presenting at a conference outside my institution by the time I send out my PhD applications this fall. Should I be worried? I have presented at 2 conferences at my school, one presentation on literature and one on composition pedagogy. I also attended (but didn't present at) CCCC. I'm planning on presenting at the same graduate student conference this fall and next spring, simply because the barrier to getting into these types of conferences is rather low. 

Do admissions committees really care if you have experience presenting as an MA student? Or is presenting at these types of conferences beneficial for the applicant in that he or she can practice public speaking, etc.?

Do admissions committees really care if you have experience presenting as an MA student? Or is presenting at these types of conferences beneficial for the applicant in that he or she can practice public speaking, etc.?

There are different schools of thought on this question. Even within my department, I have heard widely different perspectives. My mentor, who was also on the admissions committee last year, said that it probably doesn't matter at M.A. level -- that going to relevant conferences and networking is more important than presenting. Others have different views, and one of my co-workers insists that the wide range of conferences she presents at was a key part of her making it into a Ph.D. program. So...your mileage may vary.

I think presenting at conferences can help, but not presenting doesn't hurt. Especially with CCCC as an example: it's notoriously competitive, with professors often getting their proposals rejected. But! You should/could take advantage of works-in-progress pre-conference events, like the Research Network Forum at CCCC and Rhetoric Society of America and the Graduate Research Network at Computers and Writing. 

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have some questions about conferences.

It looks like I have virtually no chance of presenting at a conference outside my institution by the time I send out my PhD applications this fall. Should I be worried? I have presented at 2 conferences at my school, one presentation on literature and one on composition pedagogy. I also attended (but didn't present at) CCCC. I'm planning on presenting at the same graduate student conference this fall and next spring, simply because the barrier to getting into these types of conferences is rather low. 

Definitely look at what Prof said about GRN and RNF, but don't give up on presenting this year. There are lots of smaller conferences that have yet to put out their RFPs yet but will soon, plus some unconferences, which offer a chance to present.

To give you some sense, most of my cohort will have 2-3 national conferences by the time we apply this fall (counting upcoming acceptances).

I don't remember where you are, but DM me, and I may have an opportunity for you in the very near future.

I'll be attending the 2016 Lilly Conference on College Teaching, which is a pretty awesome conference re: college teaching issues, methods, and other criticism related to what we do in the classroom.

http://www.units.miamioh.edu/lillycon/

It's in Oxford, OH at Miami University, Nov. 19-22.

I was also looking at presenting at the NeMLA conference in 2016, but I think I'll be too swamped with PhD apps to get anything together.

I'll be attending the 2016 Lilly Conference on College Teaching, which is a pretty awesome conference re: college teaching issues, methods, and other criticism related to what we do in the classroom.

http://www.units.miamioh.edu/lillycon/

It's in Oxford, OH at Miami University, Nov. 19-22.

Not in your field but, I clicked the link and that sounds like an amazing conference. Not sure if I can swing attending but, maybe in a future year. Thanks for tuning me in to this!