MSCM vs MBA?

bluestskies

I was just curious if anyone has thoughts on the validity of a 1 year Masters in Supply Chain Management vs a 2 year MBA program, offered at the same top 20 business school? I'm interested in the MSCM because of the shortened duration (I've already got an MPA and BA and this is just to help with a career move), but didn't see any sort of statistics for jobs after graduation, class size, and most importantly, the differences in an MBA vs the MSCM - besides the obvious focused topic. Why would the offer both (just for more $$$?) when you could obtain an MBA with a focus in supply chain? And how do companies view this degree as opposed to an MBA?

My guess is that the MBA is the more widely recognized degree and one whose skills will allow you to pursue a variety of jobs post-graduation. The coursework is going to be broader and will likely emphasize the case study approach (as is the nature of many MBA programs). The 1 year master's is a much more specialized degree which may not open as many corporate doors for you in the long run. Have you tried emailing them to get placement statistics for graduates?

Thank you for your response!

I have, but no email back yet from the admin, and I also plan on attending an informational session, but know those can be a bit biased so I was just trying a new avenue as I'm getting antsy for an answer from them, haha. I do think you're right...I know I'd like to have my career in supply chain (down the road as I'm currently in the public sector) so this is more appealing (plus the shorter duration) but my biggest fear is it's just laughed at on a resume or like disregarded as a throwaway degree and I'd be wasting my time. I honestly thought I was done with school after getting my first Masters and literally saw this program by chance and it made me rethink my plan, but I know so little that I want to be sure. 

Have you compared the curriculum?  It will vary by school but the MBA core will include accounting, finance, strategy, and leadership courses and 1 or 2 supply chain and 1 or 2 operations courses.

A supply chain or operations and supply chain management program will be more of an applied operations research curriculum.  With about 3-5 supply chain and 3-5 operations courses.  Also IT courses are often omitted.

Both typically have 1 course in change leadership, 1 in data analysis, and atleast 1 in marketing.

An MBA with a concentration will omit a few of the supply chain and operations courses to fit in the finance, accounting, and leadership.

Some schools also have entreprenueral and economics  or other area classes in the MBA and maybe the MS SC OM.  Some you can do both the MS and MBA with only 3 or 6 more courses.

Also a MS may have a thesis or project where as an MBA typically includes a project.  An MS may be a better option if you might apply to a PhD later on.  

More courses in  SC and OM will give you a stronger application in those areas wheras an MBA will give you more options.  In my organization almost all of management has experience in the supply chain.

Edited by ace589

I did do a comparison and the crazy part is essentially the MBA has a lot of the same courses but twice as many (so like a 2 part series), thus twice the length. The MSCM has a lot of managerial courses and supply chain courses, as expected, but also stats, competitive strategy, marketing, finance, econ etc. I don't know if companies will see or understand that right off the bat though, so that's definitely still a drawback  as opposed to the MBA. 

Edited by bluestskies

The MBA is less about course offerings; it's a differentiator for employers that signals you are a successful person on an upward trajectory, capable of handling money, and worthy of leadership opportunities. MBA grads have vastly more and better career options than those graduating from business-area specialized master's degrees. Obtaining admission to a top MBA program is commensurately more difficult; American programs are also extremely difficult to get into for the 30+ crowd. 

Edited by went_away