Is it funny to apply to grad schools with such GRE scores?

DPDT

Hello guys,

I'm an international undergrad in my fourth year at a university in Canada. I'm currently studying biomed physics. I'm planning to apply for grad school to start in Fall 2016. 

I've just got my GRE score report.

Verbal: 141 :( (I knew it before but I've just realized how bad it is)

Quantitative: 162

Analytical: 4.0

I did NOT really study for it to be honest. I just read some analytical essays examples and watched some youtube videos hoping to get some vocabulary in, during about two weeks before taking the test.

As a physics major, I'm good at math and I think I could do better if I took it seriously, but for VERBAL I have no hope. I'm really bad at comprehending subject areas other than physics and all what I usually read is scientific papers from biophysics journals.  

My dream WAS to apply to Duke university and Georgia Tech Medical Physics Master programs but now I'm so frustrated with these scores I got. I have other Canadian schools in mind that don't require GRE.

I'm currently not planning to take the GRE again because I don't have time to study for it and I know I won't do better at verbal. Do you think it's a waste of time to apply to any university with these scores? should I stick to applying to only Canadian universities? 

I actually just want to move to the US because I'm so tired of Canada's weather :( and if I chose to apply to the University of British Columbia in Vancouver where the weather is nicer, I'm not sure if I'll get in, it is so competitive. My current UGPA is 84% which I guess equivalent to about 3.7 according to my university website (but not sure since the conversion info I found is too old). I can get good letters of recommendations because I'm hard working and my profs know it but I'm just not into anything that is not science related which is why I didn't study for verbal.

TELL ME WHAT TO DO! I don't want to go back to my country of citizenship (middle east) I really hate it there and I can't stay in Canada with no job or university offer of admission. .

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have nothing to add -- just here to commiserate.  I have the exact opposite problem:  the verbal is a breeze, but to get a decent score on the quant would take more time, effort, and money than I have.  I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Hi DPDT,

After reading your post, I think that you really have to prioritize what's most important to you. Since you barely studied for the GRE, it doesn't make sense that you would be surprised by your scores. The GRE is a predictable, standardized Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The GRE is also an essential part of the application process for most Grad Schools. 

So what is MORE important?.... Studying for (and improving) your GRE scores and possibly getting into your Dream School.....OR....not doing any of those things (because you don't think that you'll do well at the Verbal section, so you won't even try).

If you're dead-set on not taking the GRE again, then your options are going to be limited. If you're looking for advice that could conceivably 'solve' all of your 'issues', then it's pretty straightforward - you have to take this whole process seriously and study for the GRE.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich