Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

2 hours ago, springwheel said:

Hey guys i have been checking this forum several times every day since January and I am about to wrap up this season as only 1 school is yet to release its decision. So far, (3a, 10r, 1?). 

I was wondering when I turn down an offer, if i have to send emails to all professors who have been in contact with me at the school. I just sent a turn down message to an administrative officer and I am puzzled how I manage to say "Ive decided to choose a better offer.." to professors directly..

You're not obligated to tell them all of course, but if you find them useful connections, I'd suggest you send them a nice thank you mail, telling them how grateful you are for their support and time, that it was a very difficult decision, and that you look forward to staying in constructive and inspiring talks with them.

I've personally been talking to professors at 5 universities, even at schools where I know I won't go, simply because they have that one person who's really good in my field and whom I know I'll meet again at conferences or whose help I possibly could use down the line. So I make sure they remember my face (skype) and my name (and my research interest). I'll let all of them down easily and try to establish good talking relationships. Networking really doesn't hurt in this field.

1 hour ago, IndEnth said:

You're not obligated to tell them all of course, but if you find them useful connections, I'd suggest you send them a nice thank you mail, telling them how grateful you are for their support and time, that it was a very difficult decision, and that you look forward to staying in constructive and inspiring talks with them.

I've personally been talking to professors at 5 universities, even at schools where I know I won't go, simply because they have that one person who's really good in my field and whom I know I'll meet again at conferences or whose help I possibly could use down the line. So I make sure they remember my face (skype) and my name (and my research interest). I'll let all of them down easily and try to establish good talking relationships. Networking really doesn't hurt in this field.

Thanks, IndEnth! I really didnt expect this whole process to be this complicated. I just want it to be over and start to apply for housing for fall semester..lol

Edited by springwheel

3 hours ago, yasir8959 said:

Use the same cryptic language that they use in rejection letters to us.

"I am Springwheel and i am afraid that i am approaching you with not a bad news. I had an unusually large number of great admissions this year and in my choice to decide another school i took into consideration a large number of factors. Those factors included, but were not limited to, school reputation, placement record, prized faculty, graduate assistantship, weather, proximity to home, nightlife, price of booze and mary jane, number of POPO's per thousand residents in the city (the lesser the better) and strip bars. I wish your school good luck for your educational aspirations and producing tenure-track research maniac professors for a long time to come. I must tell you that i gave your school a thorough review before reaching any conclusion."

Best 

Springwheel

Dont forget to sign the letter.

I laughed a lot from this lol. Such a reply would be a nice revenge(?) and compensation for all our waiting and drinking at 4 in the morning after being rejected.

10 hours ago, whatwasithinking said:

Any news on visit days from UIUC...Rochester and Duke? Could somebody tell me when these are?

There is no set visit day for UIUC. You have to arrange your visit with the DGS. I think that's a great way to do it, since not everyone can make it for a predetermined visiting weekend, plus it's an experience tailored to you. I'll be going there to visit soon, very excited.

3 hours ago, IndEnth said:

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I haven't received official funding offer yet, but the admissions email said that they'll give me funding for six years contingent on satisfactory progress. Don't know how much that would be though.

I just got mine last evening! No e-mail, just logged on admissions portal. 

50 minutes ago, twinsora said:

I just got mine last evening! No e-mail, just logged on admissions portal. 

Just got the email. Six-year funding in form of an assistantship (mostly TA, potentially RA in between), around 20k per year. I don't know what the cost of living is in Irvine, but that seems very little?

I'll turn it down anyways though.

1 hour ago, IndEnth said:

Just got the email. Six-year funding in form of an assistantship (mostly TA, potentially RA in between), around 20k per year. I don't know what the cost of living is in Irvine, but that seems very little?

I'll turn it down anyways though.

Currently it's my only offer, and I think 20k is pretty reasonable. I looked into cost of living, and its near impossible to live anywhere in the surrounding area with a 20k stipend, but the on-campus grad housing/apartments are very affordable on a 20k stipend. The alternative would be to live a bit further away, and to commute in. (It also helps that they provided me three years of non-resident tuition as I'm Canadian). 

Edited by twinsora

7 minutes ago, s1994 said:

Harvard is out?

I'm claiming that, don't know if anyone else is out.

Harvard wins the prize for most polite rejection letter haha. They make it sound like they wanted to admit you, but just didn't have the space.

1 hour ago, doubledyno said:

Harvard wins the prize for most polite rejection letter haha. They make it sound like they wanted to admit you, but just didn't have the space.

Thank you for confirming. At least we know that Harvard is actually sending out decisions this week. good luck to everyone 

1 hour ago, doubledyno said:

Did you apply to the Harvard Department of Government or the Harvard Kennedy School?

6 minutes ago, Determinedandnervous said:

Did you apply to the Harvard Department of Government or the Harvard Kennedy School?

HKS' PhD program (Political Economy and Government) has submitted admission notifications last week. 

From TW: "However, I can assure you no notifications have gone out yet."

He also said hopefully the decisions will be out next week. 

So have a good weekend everyone. No need to refresh your emails like me anymore this week. 

Edited by s1994

3 minutes ago, Determinedandnervous said:

I wasn't sure because some were reporting HKS rejections today.

You are right -- HKS rejections are out; government won't release their decisions until next week. 

3 hours ago, Tvent1986 said:

Any news about NYU Comparative Politics?  I saw some acceptances and rejection two weeks ago, but I didnt receive nothing. 

I'm NYU comparative, and I got the offer about two weeks ago. Have been invited to the visitation day, which is March 25, have received funding information and have talked to POIs. Don't know what it means if you haven't heard by this point. Maybe you can contact them directly to check?

1 minute ago, IndEnth said:

I'm NYU comparative, and I got the offer about two weeks ago. Have been invited to the visitation day, which is March 25, have received funding information and have talked to POIs. Don't know what it means if you haven't heard by this point. Maybe you can contact them directly to check?

Thank you, then, It is a possible rejection. I saw so few acceptances in the page, and other few rejections, that I was expectating to still have some chance. Maybe I will send a email to them. Or just wait expecting for a wait list position, I have already received an interesting acceptance now. 

Thanks  

7 minutes ago, Tvent1986 said:

Thank you, then, It is a possible rejection. I saw so few acceptances in the page, and other few rejections, that I was expectating to still have some chance. Maybe I will send a email to them. Or just wait expecting for a wait list position, I have already received an interesting acceptance now. 

Thanks  

As far as I know, NYU waitlist has been already released. There are 20 people on the list.

24 minutes ago, IndEnth said:

can confirm this. 

18 minutes ago, Tvent1986 said:

Thanks  

Did you check the box for the MA?