American Studies 2016

On 2/12/2016 at 3:55 PM, Neist said:

Giving you a heads up. I just got an email from the school of Cultural and Critical Studies that I've been recommended for admission into the Pop Culture MA. Considering it was from the school's chair and not the department head, its possible that they might make PhD decisions sooner rather than later.

I'm happy. Maybe it's a happy hour beer night. :) 

CONGRATULATIONS, @Neist! That's awesome!

No news at PhD level yet, but sounds like this may indeed be the week!

On 2/12/2016 at 3:36 PM, CTKopster said:

Thanks for responding to my question. I called Brown & BU on Wednesday and was told by both departments that no decisions have been made either way; still going through applications. When I asked for a timeframe each said a few weeks still. Harvard is still going through applications as well. I'm hoping we hear soon AND I'm hoping we are in orientation together in March...or April...or May!! This is soooo nerve wracking!! And I'm in the middle writing my masters thesis! Luckily my hair fell out years ago or I'd be in trouble!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us...and everybody else viewing this thread!

Thanks for the info! It's nice to have a more concrete timeframe but at the same time so frustrating to have to wait so much longer. Here's to hoping for good news for both of us!

7 hours ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

CONGRATULATIONS, @Neist! That's awesome!

No news at PhD level yet, but sounds like this may indeed be the week!

Thanks! :D 

By the way, there was a BGSU American Studies PhD acceptance posted two days ago. I've just found it. It's misspelled "Bowing Green State".

Not sure if this is good or bad on your end. :mellow:

5 minutes ago, Neist said:

Thanks! :D 

By the way, there was a BGSU American Studies PhD acceptance posted two days ago. I've just found it. It's misspelled "Bowing Green State".

Not sure if this is good or bad on your end. :mellow:

Oh, gross. :( Thanks for the heads up. I have still heard NOTHING all day. Dove through my email correspondence with them from my application period, even, to make sure they had my correct email address and to make sure I hadn't missed something. Nope. Maybe that first applicant was so standout brilliant they had to accept them first. (Although I'm doubtful, if he or she can't even spell the name of the university correctly.)

17 minutes ago, pbnwhey said:

Nothing else yet for me....just getting harder and harder to make a decision. Thank god for campus visits. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone here!!

It's not American Studies related, but I wonder how I'm going to decide intelligently if my last two schools notify everyone in a few weeks. Probably can't visit campus. Guess I'll have to make best guesses. Herm. :mellow:

21 hours ago, CTKopster said:

Anything? Anyone?

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time participant (inspired by @CTKopster 's comment)... Congrats to all of those who have received good news so far! I was invited to a recruitment event at GWU, wondering if anyone else on here applied/is attending/knows anything about the program. I'm familiar with the work of the professors I would like to work with, as well as the sense of the program communicated on their website, but I'm wondering if there is any more general impressions of that program floating around in the world of American Studies...

5 hours ago, Oz said:

As an international student from Turkey, I applied to University of New Mexico American Studies Ph.D. on Jan 15 and Penn State M.A on Feb 15th. I haven't heard from UNM but I was admitted to Penn State yesterday! 

Congrats from Turkey ;)

Just posted my first two results on the board. Got the official no from Harvard on Friday like everyone else, not too bummed about that honestly. Got my first acceptance this weekend but it's bittersweet because I'm on the waitlist for funding. So if anyone's not going to W&M, let them know!

13 minutes ago, verycunning said:

Just posted my first two results on the board. Got the official no from Harvard on Friday like everyone else, not too bummed about that honestly. Got my first acceptance this weekend but it's bittersweet because I'm on the waitlist for funding. So if anyone's not going to W&M, let them know!

Congrats! Baby steps, I say. Baby steps. :) 

1 hour ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I'm 99.9% confident that NYU AMST puts a gag order on interviewees. 

i didn't know nyu american studies had interviews-- i thought the results were already posted. at least i saw one on the board.

2 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I'm pretty sure they do interviews...or at least have done them in the past.

As for that result, I doubt that was real. It seemed fishy. 

ah ok thanks!

2 hours ago, the_queer_ecologist said:

I'm pretty sure they do interviews...or at least have done them in the past.

As for that result, I doubt that was real. It seemed fishy. 

I had kinda given up hope on NYU until I just read your post. The result also sounded weird to me but it fits the NYU acceptance time line from past years and I think someone shortly before it was posted said (in the forum) that NYU had already decided on who they would be accepting. 

2 hours ago, Sash23 said:

I had kinda given up hope on NYU until I just read your post. The result also sounded weird to me but it fits the NYU acceptance time line from past years and I think someone shortly before it was posted said (in the forum) that NYU had already decided on who they would be accepting. 

I should clarify that I know it's a hoax. I know the person who posted and she was duly scolded.