totally crushed lit major - good enough for Riverside?

Killy Jelly

Well, I'd been studying for the GRE for about two months, nailed all 400 vocabulary (committed to memory!) and got a math tutor... was taking the Princeton practice tests and getting decent-ish scores (650 V 510 Q), knowing that most english programs don't care about the math score.

Then I took my test today... and when I saw my score on the screen I almost started crying.

410 Q, 510 V. I think I did well on the essay because I'm a pretty good writer but who knows how they test those things.

The computer hardly gave me ANY of the words I worked so hard to memorize. I bombed hard and I feel like a failure.

With applications for the English graduate program at Riverside due Dec. 1st (and I was told by the department that I should aim for Nov. 1) I am completely terrified.

For those of you who know anything about Riverside, do you think I still have a chance if I apply with my current scores? I already had the scores sent to the college. I have a 3.6 GPA and lots of decent essays and good letters of rec, but will this low GRE score kill me?

Should I retake it next month and try to squeeze it in before the deadline? If so, I'm considering taking the paper test instead. Is the paper test easier?

Thanks...

I'm not sure if the written GRE will be easier, but I can tell you that it might seem easier. I, for one, have a difficult time concentrating when dealing with computer test taking and tend to do much better with paper copies. (It has to be something about actually feeling the paper on my fingertips. I mean, I feel the same way about reading books. I can't deal with all those Kindle thingies, I need the paper copies of my lit.) However, I would advise you to operate on a two-pronged approach and attempt to retake the GRE but have your application ready to go with your current GRE scores and add the new scores if they come in promptly. Please don't stress yourself out too much. Although some programs use the GRE as a cutoff marker, that's not what it was made for and some programs only nominally review the GRE portion of your application. If other parts of your application are outstanding, then I wouldn't worry too much about it! Good luck!

Do you know how Riverside uses the GRE? If you think you have the drive to study more and take it again, I'd do it. I'd concentrate less on memorizing words and try roots etc instead. And take as many practice tests as you can. Good luck!!

Should I retake it next month and try to squeeze it in before the deadline? If so, I'm considering taking the paper test instead. Is the paper test easier?

The paper test is infinitely easier (which is frustrating since it drags down the percentiles for the computer test), but I don't believe that you can take it if you live in a country that offers the computer adaptive test...so you're out of luck.

Take it again. You'll do better this time.

Well, I'd been studying for the GRE for about two months, nailed all 400 vocabulary (committed to memory!) and got a math tutor... was taking the Princeton practice tests and getting decent-ish scores (650 V 510 Q), knowing that most english programs don't care about the math score.

Then I took my test today... and when I saw my score on the screen I almost started crying.

410 Q, 510 V. I think I did well on the essay because I'm a pretty good writer but who knows how they test those things.

The computer hardly gave me ANY of the words I worked so hard to memorize. I bombed hard and I feel like a failure.

With applications for the English graduate program at Riverside due Dec. 1st (and I was told by the department that I should aim for Nov. 1) I am completely terrified.

For those of you who know anything about Riverside, do you think I still have a chance if I apply with my current scores? I already had the scores sent to the college. I have a 3.6 GPA and lots of decent essays and good letters of rec, but will this low GRE score kill me?

Thanks...

Out of all the UCs, Riverside receives some of the smaller numbers of applications (about 150 last year). This means that they will probably look at every application file that comes. I got in last year, and my verbal was 600. It's pretty much what the UC's list as a minimum.

Honestly, though, a lot of schools know that the GRE won't be an indicator of performance in seminars requiring critical thinking rather than rote memorization. If you can get another testing of the GRE in before the deadline, do it. If you top your last score, mention on the electronic app your new score and note that it will arrive here once processing is complete.

My advice: focus as much energy as possible on revising and perfecting your writing samples and SoP.