UPenn MA/PhD in Art History - Need Advice

Ken5566

I just started my application to UPenn's history of art graduate program, and I was asked to choose either to apply to a terminal Master's or a PhD. My ultimate goal, of course, is to get a doctoral degree in art history. However, I wonder it may be too competitive and difficult to get into the PhD program with only a BA. I don't mind to start from a Master's program, but funding is definitely an issue (only the PhD program provides funding). Should I apply to the PhD program just because it has funding opportunities, or should I apply to the Master's because it is supposedly easier to be admitted? I have some (rather minor) publications, research experiences in the field of art, and currently hold the position of part-time Research Assistant at a university. Would that make me capable of applying directly to the PhD program?

Thanks!

Apply to the PhD program. Usually, if you don't get in but they see potential, they will admit you to the MA program as a consolation prize, and you can make your decision then--though I would not recommend an unfunded MA unless you or your parents have the money to fund it yourselves (for all the reasons you can read about in the Chronicle of Higher Education, Slate, the Professor is In, etc...).

Edited by condivi

I absolutely agree with condivi.

I got a terminal MA and am now in a PhD at a different school... because I only applied to the MA at first out of modesty.
I enjoyed both experiences in the end, but I wish everyday that I had at least tried the PhD right away. There are a few funded MAs... like Williams, which is a very prestigious program.

Thank you for your advices! I also checked the students profile on their website, and most of the PhD students entered with a BA. I think I will apply directly to the PhD program!

I don't believe Williams offers full-funding and living stipends as much as they have in the past. It seems that they have cut drastically back.

Strange, I've heard otherwise. I've heard that more than a few students in recent classes have gotten extremely generous packages.

Strange, I've heard otherwise. I've heard that more than a few students in recent classes have gotten extremely generous packages.

I mean - they do to an extent. But from my experiences and colleagues, the percentage who has been receiving them is significantly lower. The packages are also smaller. It will be interesting now that Michael Holly and Darby English have left the building over there...

I mean - they do to an extent. But from my experiences and colleagues, the percentage who has been receiving them is significantly lower. The packages are also smaller. It will be interesting now that Michael Holly and Darby English have left the building over there...

For what it's worth, my own experiences and contacts contradict your info. Regardless, Williams remains one of the few MA programs that funds a substantial number of its students. Also, Michael Holly hasn't left quite yet.

• 4 weeks later...

My knowledge backs up raisinbrancusi, I understand that Williams is offering better packages in recent cohorts to stay competitive with PhD programs. Michael Ann Holly is filling in until they find a permanent replacement for Darby English. And always remember as you are looking at programs, academic superstardom and good teaching/mentoring do not necessarily correspond.... 

Another thing to note about Williams regardless of who runs their research program is grad students' access to Clark fellows and the scholars they bring in for colloquia and symposia. These scholars can become contacts at their institution's PhD programs or even POIs. In terms of meeting/working with top professors and sampling trends in the discipline, there's no terminal MA that comes close, and few PhD programs. It's part of why they look at their program as competing with PhDs not any of the other terminal MAs out there.